What the heck is in my Transmission????

I recently bought a 98 Legacy Outback, with 84K. Everything works like new. I checked the transmission fluid (yellow handled dipstick on drivers side running through a tube to the bottom side of tranny) and the front Diff (yellow handled shorter disptick on pass side on top of transaxle). The transmission dipstick has a fluid with the color of brand new motor oil, very light honey colored. Am I actually checking the center diff or something? the transmission shifts and works perfect. Jerry

Reply to
jerryeveretts

Is this automatic or manual? If manual, there is just the one dipstick for the trans which uses gear oil. This will appear almost clear on the dipstick. On the manual the front diff shares the same oil. If it's automatic, the trans will use ATF and the front diff is lubricated separately with gear oil.

Reply to
mulder

It is an automatic. Perhaps there is transmission fluid that is not red?

Reply to
jerryeveretts

I just had my automatic flushed and replaced with synthetic lube. Don't know what color it is. They just did it yesterday and I haven't checked it. I would assume you can get fluids in all kinds of colors. I had the tranny oil in my Porsche changed to this high-end stuff that's a gorgeous shade of blue.

Reply to
Sheldon

Cool!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Yeah. They had a lot of that blue stuff left over, and I told them to put some in a bottle and put it on the counter. People would ask about it and they'd be able to get rid of their stock. All I remember is it was expensive, and they had to buy a lot more than I needed.

Anyway, my mechanic said that flushing the system and using synthetic would really help the tranny on the Subi. As we all know, automatic transmissions tend to be a weak point on most Subarus.

Reply to
Sheldon

And all the time my Subaru service tech. said the AT are rock solid and most all there tranny work is on the clutches and MTs. Maybe I'm just lucky that I have 102,000+ miles on my 4eat and shifts as new.

Reply to
Edward Hayes