Wheel goes "wop wop wop wop"..

Now that it is summer time and we're driving around with the windows open, especially the passenger side, I notice that the rear passenger side wheels makes "a lot" of road noise - actually I don't think it is any louder than the other three, just it is modulated instead of being constant.

Haven't noticed anything different in the handling or wear on the tire, just had the brakes serviced (though they only change the front pads and discs).

95 Legacy, 169,000 km

Any ideas?

-- Dominic Richens | snipped-for-privacy@alumni.uottawa.ca "If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Reply to
Dominic Richens

Good chance the noise is being caused by tire tread and/or internal ply delamination. This might never be a problem, then again it _could_ be a sign of impending catastrophic failure. And usually the failure will occur when the tire is being stressed, for example when making a hi-speed lane change or the like; the worst possible time. I'd get it to a tire shop for a checkup ASAP, and would avoid running it at highway speeds until it has been given a clean bill of health, or has been replaced. And do let us know what you find out. Be safe.

ByeBye! S.

What brand and model tires? How many miles on them? Like the previous poster, I fear a potential impending (and catastrophic) ply separation. The fact that one tire is noticeably noisier than the other 3 is not a good omen. Something is wrong.

Have you checked for "bubbles" on the tread ( anyplace on the tire)or side walls? Are the lug nuts correctly torqued?

You may want to rotate the tires temporarily to make sure the noise is, in fact, originating from that one tire. This type of noise *could* be coming from a defective bearing in the right rear axle.

Please have the tires (all of them) checked out thoroughly by a competent tire shop........... especially if they are Firestone Maypops or Yoka-exploding -hamas.

Reply to
Subbies Two

Could be a bad strut not damping the spring oscillation or a separating tire. TG

Reply to
TG

Goodyear Allegra, 12,000km (less than 1 year) - just had them rotated (at the same time as the brake job). I'll take that wheel off tonight and have a closer look at it and the brakes, and check the bearings are moving in other the direction they are suppose to :-).

If I see nothing, I'll remount it and go for a drive. If the noise is still there I'll take it to the dealer since they'll likely look at it for free given they just supposidly did the brakes and checked the tires.

cheers!