Which model years had piston slap & head gasket problem?

Looking at buying a used Subaru, anyone know which model years had the piston slap and leaking head gasket problem?

Reply to
ed

I owned a 1995 legacy 2.0 na hydraulic lifters, which started to rattle in the morning after 100000 km. Drove to 230000km though, I think it would have lasted to 300k After that I owned a 1997 Impreza 2.0 na, mechanical lifters, also started to rattle after 100k, swapped it after 220k, still in ok condition. Now I drive a 2000 Legacy 2.5 na phase1. Blew a headgasket after 50k..., but no piston slap yet.

"ed" wrote in news:d9Ore.10235$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp1.uunet.ca...

Reply to
jakkerma

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I have a 1993 impreza, 1.8L manual, and absolutely no problems. I have

179,000 miles on it, doesnt burn any oil, and my mom has the same year and her's has 299,000 miles on it and still runs great. I can definately vouch for this engine.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

So are there preventative things we can do?

I have a 2000 Legacy L wagon.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold