Winter Quest by Tempra?

Hi folks. I am shopping for winter tires and went to my dealer today to see what they had. They have a "special" right now and they are
bundling the Subaru steel rim with a Tempra Winter Quest tire. I have never heard of this brand before. They started selling them last year and apparently haven't received any complaints about them. I was looking at the Goodyear Ultra Grip and the Michellin X-ice, but these are a friendlier price. I would like to think that the dealer wouldn't try and sell tires that were decent, but I know better! Any comments from anyone concerning these ones? I am looking forward to my Impreza in the winter and I am a firm believer in winter tires. Thanks.
-- David Cantwell . . . St.John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
On Nov 5, 1:07 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I am very happy with a Korean import tire that I got from the tirerack.com. The tire is a Kumho brand, and I got tires and rims for my 1999 Legacy Outback plus shipping for less than aything I could find locally.
Tirerack.com has customer reviews of all its tires, and the Kumho are well liked.
Ben

They're being well liked did not prevent the pair that's on my car now from going out of round rather early. I now get a free massage at 70mph that 4 wheel alignment and tire balancing hasn't (and won't) fix.
I won't be buying them again. They felt great initially though.
On teh other hand, I just replaced some michelins on teh wife's car that had 75000 miles on them. They looked like they might disintegrate, as they were cracking, belt starting separate... but I shit you not, they still felt great on the highway and totally smooth.
-- Todd H. 2001 Legacy Outback Wagon, 2.5L H-4 Chicago, Illinois USA
On Nov 5, 4:39 pm, snipped-for-privacy@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:

Thanks, Todd. Were the Michelins winter tires? I have heard the X- Ice wear really quickly given they are a softer compound.
--
David Cantwell . . .
St.John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Winter tires are quite another animal.
What I just replaced on her car were definitely all season tires.
Best Regards, -- Todd H. 2001 Legacy Outback Wagon, 2.5L H-4 Chicago, Illinois USA
On Nov 5, 1:07 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

You don't say what store you were at but they sound like a 'store brand' tire. Just beware of any tires made in China. There have been major issues with some of them (approximately 450k imported into the US) and the recall bankrupted a NJ distributor.
Dan D '99 Impreza 2.5RS (son's) Central NJ USA

Sorry Dan. I was at my local Subaru Dealer - Capitol Subaru here. They have the tires on sale. That is what I meant when I said I hope a dealer would only recommend decent tires :)
-- David Cantwell . . . St.John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

You'd hope, but given what astounding pieces of fecal matter the Firestone Wilderness tires were that came on my car, I wouldnt' trust Subaru's choice of tires any further than I can could throw em!
-- Todd H. 2001 Legacy Outback Wagon, 2.5L H-4 Chicago, Illinois USA
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Hmmm, Michelin or Nokian. Only winter tiresw on my kids Subaru. Calgary, Alberta

Can't go wrong with Nokian IMO. Pricey, but well worth it! Going on the 4th winter with Nokian WR's on my WRX with plenty of tread left. They've performed great with the crazy/variable conditions I've thrown at 'em: 100+F hiway for 300+miles, gravel, mud, ice, and snow...likely on the same weekend. Yeah, it does snow in (parts of) Arizona. ;-) If I lived in a more brutal winter clime I'd have no doubts going with their Hakka line.
Brent.
On Monday, November 5, 2007 1:07:13 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The winter quest tires you are asking about have the same tread pattern as the name brand Saxxon. They are a very good snow tire very agressive.They are also very good on ice.
On Monday, November 5, 2007 1:07:13 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Looking at their tread patterns they look quite aggressive enough. Snow tires tend have to look like a bunch of razor blades to be good on snow.
    Yousuf Khan