Need advice for winter tires

Hi,

I am located in Canada (Montreal)and I have to buy new winter tires, but I don't know which one to choose. I drive 100 KM per day, half is highway and half is city. Which tires have the best bang for the buck? Walmart's, Motomaster,Toyo, Kelly, Bridgstone, Michelin, GoodYear, Hankook?!?! Are tey all about the same and the price difference goes with the branding? Should I buy snow of ice tires?

Thanks!

This is my advise: There's no substitute for real winter tyres. I can recommend Nokian Hakkapellitta for serious winter service. Latest winter tyre tests here have shown that non spiked winter tyres now have so soft rubber mixtures that they loose more stability on dry pavement than spiked winter tyres who have slightly harder rubber and longer life.

The discussion in the recent thread that begun with snow chains but ended with winter tyres also should be of interest:

|lang_sv&safe=off&selm=419a1a94%241%40news.unibe.ch/per

skrev i meddelandet news:ae2od.4058$ snipped-for-privacy@wagner.videotron.net...

Reply to
per

I have used four Icetracs on my Focus and have been very happy with them.

Reply to
Dave Gower
+> I am located in Canada (Montreal)and I have to buy new winter tires, but

Walmart`s tires ??......like shops ? ....dont have that in Croatia, tires or shops .:-))

Reply to
BRibic

I live in Buffalo, NY so I'll jump into this discussion of winter "tyres." Are snow tires noticeable better on ice and snow than all-weather tires?

I recall that my Pinto was squirrelly in the snow while my Fairmont, Tempo, and Escort were more stable. Starting my first winter driving a Focus.

Don

Reply to
Don McC

The decision is simple. You need ice radials which will perform very well in snowy conditions as well.

The best bang for buck tire in Canada is an ice radial known as Nordic Icetrac by Canadian Tire. I have them on my ZX3 and my 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon and I feel very confident driving in all kinds of winter weather. Get em on all fours, however.

Ron

Reply to
Ron Joiner

If you have a zx3 with the Firehawks, it is extremely squirrely, especially the rear end. White knuckle stuff. Get the snow tires. John Cairns

Reply to
John Cairns

"Don McC" wrote

Yes, but it is very important to get four. It's also a good idea to get winter rims (steel) so you don't have to get the tires mounted every year.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Hi, I have Michelin Artic Alpins, on both cars, a Chev Malibu and Ford Focus. The Artic Alpins are a good urban winter tires and great in ice conditions. This tire is now replaced by Michelin X Ice and from what I have been told this tire is a good as the Artic Alpins.. The Alpins are used 6 months of the year and we are now on the 4th season with about 50% of tread left. I looked at Blizzaks initially, but from what I found out talking to folks who had them was Blizzaks wear out really fast. The Crappy Tire winter tires are a Bridgestone tire I believe. Go with the Michelin Tires they are a better bet for Icy urban conditions.

I am located in Canada (Montreal)and I have to buy new winter tires, but I don't know which one to choose. I drive 100 KM per day, half is highway and half is city. Which tires have the best bang for the buck? Walmart's, Motomaster,Toyo, Kelly, Bridgstone, Michelin, GoodYear, Hankook?!?! Are tey all about the same and the price difference goes with the branding? Should I buy snow of ice tires?

Thanks!

Reply to
Gino

He said best bang for the buck. While the X Ice are a good tire they are hellish expensive.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

Depending on size (195/60/15) is about $130, and the Blizzaks are about $139. The Ice X is only available in Canada. I do not know what the price is at Costco, but the Tire dealers in this part of Canada are making some great tires deals lately. As far a the Crappy Tire tires, I have never been impressed by the after sales service. I Blew a Michelin Alpin last winter, hit a piece of concrete on the snow covered Highway, I paid $69 for the new replacement. That included road hazard insurance, balance, installation and GST. Not bad for a snow tire in its third season. The trade off with less expensive snow tires is that after 2 seasons of wear all you have is a worn out all season tire.

Ron

Reply to
Gino

I have a 2002 ZX5 and reside in North Bay Ont. For my winters tires I have a set of Goodyear Ultra Grips 185 70R 14s mounted on steel rims. I have been really pleased with this setup I am on my 3rd winter with these tires.

Reply to
Michel Bernier