Wiper drag UK

I'm getting a bad wipe...dragging and leaving a water film which is not good at night. Blades are virtually new and spring tensions seem OK. Happens even while stationary. I've cleaned the screen and blades with detergent, alcohol and vinegar but still have the problem which started for no good reason I'm aware of. Any suggestions on how to cure this gratefully received!

-- Clive Norris WRX Selectron (UK) Ltd Musical Equipment Distribution

"The more corrupt the State, the more numerous the laws". Tacitus

Reply to
Clive

Are the arm pivots free? I've seen this problem when the pivots are corroded, so the spring tension can't easily pull the arm into contact against the windshield.

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

I use a household abrasive pad (non-metallic!) such as a bath cleaner, with one drop of washing up liquid in a couple of litres of warm water, to remove the traffic film, followed by automotive glass cleaner spray, inside and out. (The plasticiser in interior trim 'evaporates' and forms a film on the glass interior).

Reply to
Orienteer

Hi Larry No corrosion...this a 3 year old car. I'm stumped.

-- Clive Norris Selectr> > I'm getting a bad wipe...dragging and leaving

Reply to
Clive

I always try wet grass. Cleans film off and lets wipe smooth across screen

Reply to
Nobody

Try the very old trick of rubbing the screen with newsprint. If this fails, PM me your home address and I'll send you a free sample of a windscreen washer additive that I'm trying to get onto the market.

Reply to
Limey Lurker

How new is 'virtually new'? Subaru parts or after-market? Maybe you just got a duff one. I've found that modern wiper blades don't last more than two or three years at best. With cheap after-market blades it can be even less. I think it is probably being parked in the sun which kills them, rather than use.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

Both blades replaced by Subaru at

30k service July so they'd better be genuine. Both blades are doing it. It must be something in/on the glass but all the usual tricks to clean it don't work. Not a lot of sun around here of late!

-C-

Reply to
Clive

Had the same problem; blade never sat properly so never cleaned properly. Was installed on a wet day, used immediately, never worked right.

In comparison, I've got two

Reply to
mark jb

You could try wiping the windshield with acetone. Likely available where they sell paint. NOTE! use EXTREME care to not get it on ANY painted surface!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi Carl That was my next move. The blades and arms, springs etc are all 100% I'm convinced something...maybe carwash polish...has permeated the glass. Meths, white spirit and vinegar hasn't shifted whatever it is so time for some industrial solvents! Thanks.

-C-

Reply to
Clive

I've heard that Coca-Cola works, but have never tried it myself.

Reply to
John Varela

.and a good thing too - it just keeps you awake!

Seriously though, if all the other remedies don't work, try taking the blades off, giving them a scrub with detergent and then fitting them the other way round (end for end, not side for side). If they still don't work I'd cut my losses and get another pair but let the dealer know and take the old ones in . Never know - they might warrant the dodgy part. Antifreeze and industrial solvents will cause accelerated ageing like this, but they're not usually airborne are they? Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Holts Screenies (used to be called Mixra) always seems to work for me. Wet screen, spray on, operate wipers and it clears 99% of deposits from screen and blades.

Worth a try?

Will

Reply to
Will Anderson

About a hundred years ago when I was young and went to drive-in movies, I used Coca-Cola to clean the windshield so that I could see the movie. I had forgotten about it but it worked great and got the windshield squeaky clean. I don't remember it causing any wiper drag.

Don D.

Reply to
Don