Braking noise WRX 02 UK

I was enjoying an interesting performance comparison with an Evo a couple of nights ago and had to brake very hard from around 110 mph to stop in a fairly short distance....ie full on! Although the brakes coped they made an appalling noise best described as a howling-moaning sound. Most embarrassing and I've never heard the like before. No fade immediately afterwards and no apparent problems with the discs (rotors) or pads...16k on the clock on original parts. Before I call my dealer...has anyone else experienced this and if so what the hell is causing the noise? TIA

-- Clive Norris Selectron (UK) Ltd Musical Equipment Distribution

Clive

Edward Hayes

Thanks Edward...a possibility but I think I'll get the dealer to check it over anyway. My last 2 Soobies didn't howl like banshees under heavy braking...and they got good workouts.

Reply to
Clive

Could be the pad wear warning noise, it mentiones this in the manual...

Ross Lyall

Rereading your post after Ross' reply, the thought occurred to me that maybe this noise is a function of the anti-lock breaks. I've had a couple vehicles with ABS, and one made a distinct clicking--almost like a grinding or slipping gear-- as it worked, while the other (my OB) is decidedly smoother; smooth enough that it could have an audible pitch.

On the other hand, I'm reminded of why my father-in-law passed on a Mitsubishi Galant several years ago. The car was perfect (mine lasted forever...the best car I ever owned), but his head touched the roof in the back seat. That was enough to DQ the car from his list. So I asked him, how often will you ride in the back seat of your own car? 'Probably never.' So what's the problem? 'I don't fit.'

The moral of the story...how often will you need to stop quickly from 110 mph? Is this really a problem? :-) :-)

-John O

Reply to
John O

or the rotors have non-uniformn friction characteristics

My brakes vibrate and make a low pitched hum during high speed stops, as the pads/rotors heat up.

Reply to
nospam