WRX A/C Quality problems

Ever since I purchased my WRX new I have had a major problem with the a/c quitting after about two hours of continuous use, specifically on a long highway trip. I have to stop the car and leave it shut down for about 20 minutes or so, and it will then resume working again. I have taken it back to the dealer several times but as it is working when I take it back they cannot help me. Also they say they have not experienced that sort of problem before. Recently, it quit while driving it for a short time locally, so I drove it straight to the deal;er in the hope that they would be able to find the fault this time. Alas, all they found was a high pressure a/c hose which was leaking at the metal fitting and charged me over $350 to supply and install a new one as the car had gone over 36K miles a month previous to this. This was obviously a different problem to the usual one. So basically I am out $350 and will still experience the same problems as before next time I have a highway trip. Apart from that I think that a/c hoses should last more than a couple of years - in all the American and German cars I have owned I have never had to replace one even after 10 years.

Reply to
Paul

mulder

Hi Paul,

I have a '02 WRX wagon and I've seen a similar problem on mine - but not as frequently as you (my trips are shorter).

Mine was most apparent when I moved from Massachusetts to Arizona with a trailer and a car full of stuff this past summer. The A/C just stopped blowing cold air for long periods of time. This usually happened when it was warm and muggy after I crossed the Mississippi river - I also stopped less as I climbed into the plains. The A/C light on the dash remained lit, making me think it was still trying to operate. The car was under a heavy load (I only averaged 14mpg) during the whole trip.

The owner's manual says the computer shuts the A/C compressor off during periods of high load, but I don't think this was occurring then. I have seen the A/C turn itself off - along with the light on the dash - when I've been driving aggressively. But once I'm done accelerating and I push the button to engage the A/C again, the system works fine.

Once I got to AZ (and lost the trailer) my A/C system usually blew nice and cold, even in the near 120 degree F full sun. I had a problem where the A/C would not blow cold when the engine was at idle. Surprisingly, a new battery seemed to fix this problem. It's hard to know for sure though, as the temperatures since I replaced the battery haven't been as radically hot. Apparently heat kills batteries a lot faster than the cold - even high end batteries only last two summers here.

If you find a solution, I'd appreciate hearing it.

- Byron

Reply to
Byron

Could you be more specific? "quitting" is too vague. Does the blower still work but the air is warm? Does the blower not operate? Does the compressor cycle? TG

Reply to
TG