Clutch release: excessive force

Groupers: I have a '98 Legacy wagon with 125K. 60K are on the second clutch which shows no signs of being worn out. I replaced the clutch cable in hopes that the excessive pedal force necessary to operate the release mechanism would go away. But it didn't. I am guessing that whatever mechanical linkage between the cable operated lever and the throwout bearing fork are binding up somehow. Is this common?

Is there a way to correct this easily or does the tranny have to come out? I have found a good Subaru mechanic but he is far away and it is helpful if I have the parts already in hand and know what is involved with the repair. Thanks for any advice.

Charlie Sachs. Pittsburgh

Reply to
Charlie Sachs

Checked my Haynes manual : Looks like the only thing that can bind is the release fork on the ballstud pivot or the throwout bearing can't travel freely on the shaft. If one of the ears attached to the throwout bearing became dissengaged wouldn't it be crocked? However, when I tryed to twist the clutch release lever it didn't move, but it did sway from side to side a 1/4" when pushed and pulled from the side of the vehcle as if it was rocking on the ballstud.

Charlie Sachs. Pittsburgh

Reply to
Charlie Sachs

Does anyone know what causes a working clutch to need a lot of pedal force to release, even with a new cable? I asked this question this weekend but I think it got buried by recent posts.

Charlie Sachs. Pittsburgh

Reply to
Charlie Sachs

Can you provide any more detail? Unsure from post whether 1/ you have a heavy pedal or

2/ gearchange needs to be forced &/or crunches.

If 1/, no real idea, but for starters:

*Check release lever adjustment *Check everything is connected properly and operating at both ends of the cable (probably need an assistant) *Check cable for free run and no kinks or tight angles *Try substituting a second hand cable & see what happens

If 2/, Check release lever free play. Adjust if necessary. If you change it, remember to readjust the hill holder!

Hope this helps. Cheers

Reply to
hippo