WRX cat-back exhaust from Subaru???

I was talking to a local dealership today, and one of the service guys told me that Subaru now has a cat-back exhaust available. It's supposed to be competitive with the aftermarket systems and cost about $500 installed. Plus, no warranty hassles! Anyone heard anything about this?

Ric

--

************************************************************* Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Ric Williams snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Ric Williams

Yes, it's part number SOA8377800 WRX Performance Exhaust Kit. Last I talked to my dealer it wasn't quite available yet, but this was about

3 weeks ago so it may now be available. I believe list is $450 so another 50 installed sounds about right.

Reply to
JB

--

************************************************************* Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Ric Williams snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Ric Williams

Will this have a real performance advantage?

jcsjcs

Reply to
jcs

You would have zero warranty hassles with putting an aftermarket catback. There's a comparison chart out in webland with a list of catback exhaust. It list $, db"s at idle & at a certain rpm, torque and hp, material, sizes, etc.

Reply to
Dan D

It's a 3" stainless system....any gain would be on the order of 8-10hp at the most. Dan is right, it would take a lot for a dealer to be able to prove that a simple exhaust change caused other problems so your warranty should be ok with other aftermarket systems. What this buys you is the ability to buy and get it all installed while you get your oil changed I guess. The price is competitive with other aftermarket systems.

Reply to
JB

From what i've been told, any performance gain would be temporary. Don't know if this is the case or not, but apparently if the stock ECU detects changes in engine performance, it changes the mapping to put things back into the parameters it wants to see, probably undoing any significant gains from a different exhaust system, etc. For those more knowledgeable than I, am I on the right track here?

Ric

jcs wrote:

--

************************************************************* Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Ric Williams snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Ric Williams

I know about the whole Magnuson-Moss Warranty act and all, but so far the service manager at the dealership where I bought the car has gotten kinda pissy when I've asked about after market upgrades. If it's a decent exhaust system, at a competitive price, *and* bypasses any tantrums (justifiable or not...) from the service manager, it sounds like a good deal. If it turns out that they're gonna be pissy about this too, I'll be going to a more performance oriented Subaru dealer across town, even if it does mean an extra

30 miles per round trip.

Ric

JB wrote:

--

************************************************************* Some mornings it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Ric Williams snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Ric Williams

Although I have heard of the Subaru ECU sometimes working against you, I'm not sure that this applies to a catback since all it's really doing is relieving back-pressure. Now, a new intake or new intercooler or something along those lines would probably need some engine mgmt work to extract all the gains since you're introducing more air into the system which would call for more fuel, etc....

I'd love to hear more opinions on this....

Reply to
JB

ths stock cat back isn't that bad. it's VERY quiet, and doesn't create much backpressure. replacing it will give you ~7hp or so. not a lot, but just enough to feel. when you start uncorking the rest of the exhaust then of course the bottleneck becomes worse, and the gains to be had become greater.

jm2c ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert