1999 Jetta III Exhaust Repair Estimate

How much should I expect to pay to replace my exhaust system in the Jetta? I'm going through a local VW dealership. I've been told I need the following parts:

Rear Muffler Intermediate Pipe Middle Muffler (no idea what middle muffler is) Clamps Labor (how many hours?)

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
PO

The middle muffler is another muffler in the middle of the system, usually just ahead of the rear axle.

Not sure about dealer prices, but it sounds like all of the above parts are just about everything after the catalytic converter. Aftermarket systems that usually also comprise all of those parts from the cat-back are usually about $250 USD but can go up from there if stainless instead of aluminized parts are used. Stainless systems are into the $400 range and are advised if you're in a snowy/salted area in the winter. Otherwise they're not that necessary.

Labor, since they can get the car up on a lift and work easily under it, I don't think should exceed 2 hours although I'm not a mechanic so I couldn't tell you for sure but that's my guess.

Reply to
Matt B.

Did I get ripped-off here or is the following a fair price?

Final Bill - $365 USD

Middle Muffler - $180 Dual Clamp - $25 Rear Muffer - Warranty Intd Pipe - Warranty Labor $ 160 (2 hrs)

Hmmm...

Reply to
PO

AFAIK I would say the dealer installed cat back system should run you from $500-650 (possibly over $400 in parts plus labor of 1.5-2 hrs.). It should also have a lifetime warranty on the mufflers and they should last another 5-7 years. Yours sounds like it did not even make it to 5 years. :-( This is actually a less expensive route in the long run as opposed to the chain muffler shops.

If you go to one of the chain places, you will usually have more added to your exhaust. Extras such as more pipe pieces and clamps. Yes the mufflers will be warranteed for life, but the prices on the pipes, esp. in rusty places like Chicago, will eat your pocket book up every 18 months (if the pipes/mufflers last that long). I had one person who went to Mid#s/C#rX or one of them and she added up that she spend over $1800 on her exhaust in less than 6 years on her 88 Jetta. She complained and they put on a whole new system for free (?)! lol

Aftermarket systems should last a good while and save you some $$$ over dealer prices AND chain muffler store prices. How long do you plan on keeping the car? Buy a Techtonic SS system and have a muffler shop install for you. :-) JMHO later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

You are correct- it was a cat-back installation with warranty on 2 of the 4 parts. You are correct again in that the original muffler setup did not last 5 years. The outer shell of the muffler fell off a few weeks back. I decided to get it replaced after hearing noises from it while driving.

Is 5 years the average lifespan??? I put between 20-30K miles a year on the car.

Reply to
PO

Depending on what climate the car resides in and how it is driven, 5 years could be normal. :-( I have seen some last 16 years (my parent's 1985 Audi) but I think the rear muffler on that was SS and it still looks good today, but the middle muffer was shot! If you plan on keeping the vehicle you might want to check out the SS cat-back systems from

. But if you onlyplan on it for 1-2 years more go with a chain (YUCK) muffler place and let thenext owner have all of the problems. I don't recommend that though. The better exhaust system will be a good selling point. :-) JMHO!

dave