WRX info

NHTSA, not DOT, and it's all over and done with IIRC. The problem units are made by BOSCH, not Subaru; Subaru has recognized and acknowledged the problem, what else...?

There's no "bucking" problem on the MY04s. There's a noob-driving-a-manual-tranny-with-a- torquey-engine problem, and it's not limited to the 2004 model. Check NASIOC etc and you'll find there's guys driving MY02 and MY03 models, complaining just as bitterly of this phenomenon as 2004 owners. Model year is not a common denominator; transmission TYPE is. Every complainant has a manual tranny.

"When I let the throttle plate slam shut right at the max torque output RPM, the vehicle acts funny!"

I =do= have a 2004, and sure...I can make it buck and lurch...just like ANY other manual tranny vehicle.

Reply to
CompUser

Whereabouts in Oz, Jason???

Brisbane here.....

Sp> Having owned three wrx's from new with seven years of driving them I think

Reply to
Spinifex

now o-fence Greg, but i fink ewe shoold haf set you're speel chekker onn

  • posSessive * HA HA HA

AN> *** post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeed.com ***

Reply to
anon

I am also in Brisbane

Reply to
Jason Smith

The bucking problem is a result of revised code in the ECU related to open-loop to closed loop transition. It can be eliminated with an aftermarket ECU reflash.

What's your username on nasioc? Mine's obvious.

2 Stroke

Unfortunately, that's incorrect.

OL/CL operation was only introduced on the MY04 ECU. Complaints of "bucking" are reported from MY02, 03, and 04 owners.

Further, owners who have had a variety of reflashes (including on 04s, some of which completely eliminate the OL/CL aspect) still report "bucking".

So, it's not related to year, therefore not related to any ECU feature that's limited to a particular year.

It never shows on 4EAT models.

It's only complained about on 5MT models.

It still "exists" after reflashes.

What does that leave?

Reply to
CompUser

So open loop/closed loop operation was only introduced in the MY04 ECU? Even though the 227hp WRX engine didn't change output or specification from 2002 to 2005, they introduced open loop and closed loop fueling modes in 2004?

You are either an idiot, or you listen to idiots and believe them. Or both.

2 Stroke

Reply to
WRXtreme

The engine didn't change output from 2002 to

2005, but Subaru puts out at least a half dozen ECU program revisions every model year.

I guess some of the idiots that I listen to and believe go by the names of Vishnu and Cobb.

Reply to
CompUser

i think there's just a simple misunderstanding here.

the USDM wrx has ALWAYS used a combination of open (maf/rpm/iat based) and closed loop (o2 sensor feedback based) fueling algorhythms to determine proper injector on times.

the change that occured in 03-04 has to do with the conditions that must occur for the ecu to switch between the two modes. in essense, the 04 ecu code will allow brief throttle positions above 60% without immediately switching to open loop (enriched) fueling.

hth ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

I went from a 1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse Turbo to an 02 WRX Wagon. The WRX blows the doors off of just about everything off the line, but I believe the Eclipse handled better.

Off road the WRX rules. I'm at 40,000 miles (one major accident, mostly cosmetic) and few problems. The check engine light is touchy on the thing (From the day I bought it) I had about 4 before 20,000 miles. Various false alarms. Since then I have reset it myself,

I would have bought a 3000GT-VR4 if it werent for Mitsubishi droping it in the US I would have gone that route.

On another note, when I bought the '02 WRX it was a toss up between that an and Audi A4. The WRX is chincy inside and out. (Blue paint is cool.. all 1 coat of it.) At the end of the day HP won out over leather and steel.

'Nuf rambling. Buy the WRX. Its a toy and a kick butt one. (The first time you blow the doors off a Mustang or Boxter you will be happy with your decision)

-DS

Reply to
Dream Scriber

351? you pussy