WRX and WRX STi durability

Hi, everybody

I would love to own either a WRX or STi, I think.

However, I wonder if anyone is able to help me with a few questions.

Do these cars cost a great deal for service into the 150,000 to 200,000 kilometre range?

How about regular maintenance? Is it costly with numerous little adjustments, scheduled replacement of parts, etc.?

Are they comfortable to ride and drive?

My reason for asking these questions is that I do not want to repeat the kind of $$$ disaster my Volvo is giving me, but I do want a car as fast, comfortable and enjoyable to drive.

Let me explain (sorry for the length of this).

I own a 1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual shift. It puts out 237 horsepower and is really quite fast -- 0-60 mph in the 6.2 to 6.9 sec range.

I love driving this car. Its handling is a bit heavy at slow speeds, it is relatively slow off the line, but when the turbo boost builds, when you are on the highway, when you are simply in need of a comfortable car at the end of the day, it is unparalleled.

The seats are extremely comfortable -- it is the kind of car you can drive for eight hours and not get out feeling exhausted.

However, it now has over 208,000 kms on the odometer.

Service history: Two clutches (although the power is there, I never do a high rev, pop the clutch start and rarely use full throttle in first or second gear -- nor do I ever ride the clutch).

Every oil change (every 8,000 kms) in the past few years has cost me between $1,200 and $2,000 CAD. Most of these repairs have been to elements of the emission control system.

The computer control for the ABS system failed at about 130,000 kms. About $500 CAD to replace.

The car still has lots of power, it still drives like new, and it still looks brand new, except for a few stone chips and minor parking lot dents.

Thanks to anyone who can and will answer any of my questions.

Neil

Reply to
Neil

From what I understand, the STI will beat the living snot out of you. The suspension is STIFF. The WRX is better, but still far from what you probably have in your volvo.

--Dan

Reply to
dg

The WRX is faster than this- usually rates 0-60 mph in about 5.4 seconds. (When I launch, and count "One one thousand two..." I only get to four when the neeedle hits 60- in second gear- but of course this is not a very reliable way to time it. Still, it makes me happy. :)

This car is a LOT of fun to drive.

Subarus are generally very reliable. It's too soon to say about the WRX, since I only have 23K miles on it, but I had an OBS that had

150,000 miles before I did anything to it- and then I replaced the battery. Unfortunately, I then gave it to my daughter, a new driver, and the clutch had to be replaced for $900 US; still, for a 5-year maintenance record, that's not bad.

I have a Legacy with around 140K miles on it. The alternator has been replaced- it was a recall item- nothing else has been done other than routine maintenance.

Since I am a commuter, I am depending on the WRX to be trouble-free.

I'm probably not much of a judge of comfort in a car, since this isn't something I really look for or even think about much. But I don't think this is generally the kind of car that someone looks for when they are concerned with comfort. I commute 90 minutes each way, and I am too busy driving it to think about comfort. I've spend as much as about 7 hours in it and not been bothered.

But my argument would be that for $23K US, given performance, dependability, and comfort, one should be prepared to sacrifice something...

Reply to
Chauncey Gardener

I have a second hand MY97 STI at almost 130,000 k's. It is an import from Japan and it's service history unkown before NZ, but I am still happy to say that it has needed no work and still goes like a bastard. I've had the timing belt replaced and that is the only major work done on it.

:-]]

Reply to
Matt Arvidson