XT or H6 for Towing

Plan to tow a boat, around 2000lbs. Driving distance could be from 30 to

150 miles roundtrip and up some grades. Which platform should do better the turbo or H6?

TIA...bgin

Reply to
bg

Personal preferance really, on whether you would prefer the turbo or 6-cyl on drives where you're not pulling the boat. Not much difference between the two.

Going on a recent review by a local car mag, the 6-cyl would be slightly better, as it has more low-down torque. Turbo's better if you intend to drive it at the upper limits of the rev range or for very steep hills, as you can knock it down a gear or two and have full turbo thrust to the engine.

I suggest a test-drive of both, try to get it up the hills you want to go in a gear higher than usual and see how she goes. Shouldn't be a problem in either though, really.

-mark

Reply to
Mark H

Lets note here, he asked about -towing-

As far as towing is concerned, low end torque is king, top end is almost meaningless. You don't (or shouldn't) tow a boat up near red-line.

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Not that the turbo is that low on torque, more depends on how he wants to drive it when not towing, balance of time spent towing, etc.

If it's just going to be a tow beast, buy a five year old V8 wagon instead.

-mark

Reply to
Mark H

XT should be adequate. I think this engine is amazing and unless primarly used for towing, then maybe go V8.

Reply to
gringo

Specs say the XT can tow 2400lbs with trailer brakes. So can the X or XS with Manual Transmission. The Automatic limits tow capacity on the X/XS to

2000lbs. Note that trailer brakes are required for >1000lbs.

I would think the real limiting factor would be the transmission. I believe that the Forester was rated as one of the best tow vehicles by some Caravaning association in Europe and they get the 2.0l version of the Forester.

Actually there can be a lot of "limiting factors", with out an indepth engineering look, we will never know.

Example, Ford once upped the tow rating of their F350/F250 trucks, but they didn't change anything in the engine or trany. Rather the changes came in the brakes, frame and tires

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg