Yet another syntetic gear oil/Kartboy thread

I was reluctant to buy go fast bits until recently when I decided to swap the rear sway bar from 13 to 20 mm (resulting in a drastic reduction on body roll).

So, now I wonder how much of an improvement I should expect if I drop some money on

  1. Kartboy shifter
  2. Kartboy shifter bushings
  3. Synthetic gear oil in the transmission
  4. Synthetic gear oil in the rear diff

For each mod of the four above those who did it could you tell me on the scale of something like "Oh my gawd, I can't believe it's so much better" "It's noticeably better" "Not much of a difference" "Worse"

what I'm likely get bung for buck wise. I just hate the feel of 5sp shifter on my impreza.

Also, did anyone install STI oem springs or spring/strut combo and can comment how that affected your ability to scrub on the improvements erected by the civil engineers around parking lots and their entrances ? (Rain gutters and other versions of speed bumps I mean)

Thank you!

Reply to
Body Roll

I have Redline synthetic in the transmission and diff. of my Impreza, MY02. No noticeable fuel mileage improvement, but the tranny oil was worthwhile for me, since it greatly improved shifting in cold weather, when the tranny wasn't yet warmed up.

If you live in a warmer climate, I doubt you would perceive any change at all.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

I live in sunny California and Redline did make a slight but noticeable difference.

I like it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Ok. I guess I'd better save my pennies towards EVO. Thank you!

Reply to
Body Roll

100% Synthetic in the 5MT seems to get a lot of negative reviews on NASIOC, with folks dumping it after finding it too slick for proper synchro operation.

No need to dump your WRX, just get a set of Kartboy endlinks to go with that fat RSB...before the OEM plastic links break!

Reply to
CompUser

I tried Mobil synthetic oil, which indeed was too slick for the synchros tow work properly. Went to Redline synthetic, it works just fine for shifting.

Larry Van Wormer

Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

I prefer to break at least one link and spend the money on replacement AFTER the fact.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad I did not get Mobil (I think I can get Mobil 1 in stores around here but I haven't seen Redline, not that I looked very hard)

Reply to
Body Roll