Your mileage may vary

I bought an Outback H6 for my wife to replace her old Outback. She doen't put much mileage on it. When we traded in her old Outback, it had only 56K miles on it after 7.5 years.

The point is, we keep getting harrased by our dealer to come in for service on "their" schedule. He seems to think we are putting 12K miles a year on the beast. OK, so I can ignore his missives. But what effect will this have on my warranty? Will he claim I am not following the maintenance schedule?

What should the maintenance schedule be on a low usage Outback H6?

Al

Reply to
Al

This should have NO effect on your warranty. The warranty is for 36,000 miles or 3 years- whichever comes first. Just do the services at the required mileage intervals- which is not needed to be done by a dealership. Just keep records of having the work done.

Duke '01 black VDC- 61,000 miles in a little over two years and rollin'

Reply to
MDCORE

X miles or 3 Months (regardless of mileage) is the usual interval for oil changes.

Reply to
Alan

Alan, you've been brainwashed. The official Subaru of America Maintenance Schedule says oil change intervals are at 7,500 miles unless you qualify for the "extreme driving conditions" which are also detailed in that same schedule.

Al, as long as you follow the official Maintenance Schedule that's in your manual, you are fine as to keeping your warranty valid. And when you do take it in to get service performed, make sure they are performing service according to the MS, not according to what the dealer says needs to be changed.

Julian

Alan wrote:

Reply to
Julian Serles

I have a friend that says cars are like people, its not the mileage but the age. But, I'm with you on this. I do my own oil changes and keep records. I won't go 6 months without an oil change and may change at 2,000 miles if that is the difference in 6 months. Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Almost everyone qualifies for extreme driving conditions (except the old ladies who only drive the car to church on Sunday). Most manufacturers today claim that 7500 is the oil change interval, but they do that to keep down the projected maintenace cost, which a lot of people research on the net before purchasing a car. Or maybe I've been brainwashed :)

Reply to
Alan

The only ones harking 3000 mile oil changes are dealers and oil change places. Most manufactures including Subaru (7500 mile) recommend 7,500 to

Reply to
Edward Hayes