1991 Honda Transmission Contorl Unit reset

I just had the TCU in my Honda reset by the dealer. He says the auto trans is wearing out and currently the left / right transmission axle seals need replacing.

Couple of questions come to mind:

1- I'm guessing the reset is (based on the above) sensing the trans is wearing out. Is this correct or do these TCU's need to be reset for other reasons besides wear and tear on the transmission ?? Is it likely that the TCU will need to be reset again in the near future based on the fact that it needed it now?

2- How serious is the transmission axle seals leaking? I know it's not good to allow leakage but if I don't replace them for a few months and meanwhile keep the fluids up, will that be okay for the moment?

Reply to
frankg

Why did it need to be reset?

Reply to
Robert Hancock

The S light (honda accord) stayed on constantly and the auto transmission wasn't shifting properly at that time. With the reset, it behaves normal right now.

Reply to
frankg

Reply to
Yeah_right

I had a 91 Accord that did that. I could take the battery cable off for a few seconds and get another couple months out of it. It was still that way when I sold it.

Reply to
gfretwell