1993 F150 : Distributor install

Hello,

Trying to install a new distributor in the above truck. The problem here is that the distributor flange wont seat properly against the engine block ( it hangs out about 1/4 inch or so ).The gears are engaged . I've tried rocking, twisting, no luck.. Is there some trick to installing this properly?

Reply to
flicks

The bottom of the distributor shaft drives the oil pump. Once you have the distributor gear meshed with the cam gear, hold the distributor housing down with your hand, and "bump" the start motor. Rotation of the shaft should let the oil pump drive shaft line up, and the distributor should drop down so the flange is properly seated. Then you probably will want to turn the crank back to wherever you had it while putting the distributor in (Top Center, #1 cylinder?) and verify that the rotor points in the correct direction.

Reply to
the fly

Umm, I would "manually" turn the engine at the crankshaft (front of engine) vs. "bump" the engine via the starter, however I have no idea if this is the right way to do it. I've done this a few times (but I'm not ASE certified) and had no problems like you described. -PapaRick

the fly wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

Why?

Reply to
Neil Nelson

I'm not ASE certified, either. I got out of "wrenching" just about the time certification came into being. I have, however, installed more distributrors than most people would ever want to think about. You can turn the engine by hand, but you may end up chasing the point of engagement. Jogging it with the start motor provides the quick jerk that is sometimes needed. Do it without the rotor installed, so it doesn't catch on anything, and just a gentle downward pressure on the distributor housing to keep it from jumping upward when things start to turn.

Reply to
the fly

I would be afraid of damage to the dist/gear and/or camshaft, but if you guys have done it that way, then I guess my fear is unfounded. -PapaRick

the fly wrote:

Reply to
Rick Colombo

Take a 1/4" drive socket on a long extension (5/16 if I remember correctly), drop it into the dist. hole & turn the pump drive a tad & try again. It usually goes in after the first try. Tape the socket to the extension or if you have to use more than one extension, tape them together too, to make sure what goes in also comes out. Never had any trouble with bumping the starter especially with fords because you can easily do it from underhood by yourself with a remote button hooked to the solenoid, but if your leery of this, try the above. Good luck.

Reply to
PA-ter