1996 dodge ram 1500 transmission

early in the winter i was driving down the freeway and my overdrive light c ame on. i noticed some smoke coming off my truck. i was about 3 miles from
home. i noticed red fluid dripping as i pulled it in the barn. i didnt want to screw with it til the weather warmed up so it sat. today im checking it out and there seems to be plenty ( maybe too much) tranny fluid. light do es not come on. im only letting it run and shifting thru geara. not driving . no fluid leaking.... any thoughts or ideas????
thanks