Dodge RAM 1500 timing belt/chain - need to replace it regularly?

Hi there --

I have a Dodge RAM 1500 quad cab 4x4, and I'm wondering about your opinions on whether I need to replace the timing belt/chain (not sure if it's a belt or chain) at a specified point in time, such as after 6 years, 50k miles, or something like that.

I ask because my other vehicle required a timing belt replacement at 6 years, so I'm wondering if this is standard maintenance for Dodge trucks too.

Thanks --

FA

Reply to
FenderAxe

And the mystery engine is???

Reply to
PeterD

You have either a 5.2, 5.9, 4.7 or a 5.7 liter engine and they all have chains. No regular milage interval for replacement on timeing chains.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

PeterD wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sorry, my bad. It's the 5.9 liter V8.

FA

Reply to
FenderAxe

Denny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h2g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

Great, thanks for the info Denny, much appreciated!

FA

Reply to
FenderAxe

V8, chain, normally a lifetime component.

Reply to
PeterD

On a 5.2 or 5.9, you'll hear a funny low pitched rattle from the front of the engine at idle when the chain stretches and starts hitting the case. It'll still run forever but the noise is kinda annoying.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Fix: turn the radio up some more... Ever had one wear through the cover/case?

Reply to
PeterD

Seen the inside of the case shined up a bit but never worn thru.

Denny

Reply to
Denny