1997 5.7 will not accelerate

when i am stopped at a red light and the light turns green I stomp on it and I just slowly go across the intersection. also it does not accelerate very well to pass on the highway. It is better when the engine is cool and in cool weather. Any ideas???

Reply to
boxing

Possibilities? Plugged catalytic converter or trans stuck in 4th.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

i just got it back from the mechanic. he says its fixed. he checked out the transmission, it was good. he scanned and got 3 codes, 1- mass air flow, 2-oxygen sensor and 3-egr circuit. he serviced all units. he didn't replace anything just the egr gasket. So I think he pretty well just cleaned everything. Any way 5 hours labour later its good to go.

Reply to
boxing

Hmmm.... no mention of a check engine light in the original post.

The only item of those three that would cause severe power loss even during full throttle mode would be the MAF, and I doubt a cleaning would restore a MAF that reported so poorly as to cause your symptoms. Even if it was unplugged the PCM would go into a backup strategy that would allow for fair drivability.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

OK, now I get it. Found this in another thread... _____________________________________________________ it seems ok when the engine is cold but when warm it idles ok, if i am sitting at a red light then the light turns gren the suburban barely crawls across the intersection. it will cruise on the highway ok but when i go to pass another vehicle it lacks acceleration. The fuel pump was replaced a year ago. the fuel filter was replaced about 4 weeks ago. the plugs and distributor cap were replaced a couple weeks ago. the exhaust system was replaced from front to back yesterday with O2 sensor simulators and no catalytic convertors. the compression on the number 1 cylinder is 120. i didn't check the rest. fuel injector cleaner was added to fuel tank in the last month. the last garage that looked at it said the distributor was advanced 18 degrees. they set it for top dead center by pulling out the distributor and moving it over one cog. I am starting to think the timing chain jumped a cog. any ideas? _________________________________________________________

Interesting shops you go to. One shop takes off the cats on an OBDII vehicle and then installs rear O2 simulators. Sweet! That's not the best part. The other shop thinks that your Vortec distributor position effects final ignition timing, and moves it one tooth to somehow compensate.

I get the feeling it would take a lot of money and competence to get this thing back to a legal and properly* running state after all of this butchery.

*Properly, not "seems OK".

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I just took it for a drive, the check engine light is on now, but it runs ok. I guess I will live with the light on if its running ok. The last guy (in addition to the other things he did) also said something about the timing was at 22 degrees he said he filed something and tightened it down. I have no idea what he was talking about. The check engine light did not come on before or after the trips to the other mechanics.

Reply to
boxing