1998 Rav4 Problem Code P0401 ( EGR insufficient flow )

Hello, Anyone know George Ganann ? Or does anyone know what was the problem with his 1998 Rav4. I just purchased a 1998 Rav4 less than a month ago. Problem Code P0401 ( EGR insufficient flow ) turned on my check engine light. When I went to check out the EGR it tested fine. I found the EGR modulator valve and the EGR VSV is new. Probably replaced by the previous owner before he gave up and traded it in. George Ganann listed the same problem in April

2005 (search 1998 rav4 P0401) but he never listed what the problem was???????? ???????? Can anyone help? Did George ever fix the car? Did I buy George's used car????????? THANKS Rob
Reply to
meonthenet via CarKB.com

These are usually the egr control vacuum solenoid. Typically intermittent and test good.

Don

Don

The world is not small enough to make this a likelyhood.

How did you determine that these two parts are new?

Anyhoo, as chance would have it, I replied to the George Ganann post with helpful diagnostic tests and an explanation of the not-so-accurate

1998 Rav4 code P0401.

Click here to see:

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Hello Guys, When the code P0401 came up, I decided to give it a tune up, cleaned the throttle body the whole nine. When I checked out the EGR, it appeared to have been very recently removed. I noticed the base of the EGR was cleaned up and the bolts that hold the pipe to the base are new. The EGR modulator valve looked new and thru a mirror the red bolt that holds the VSV and the VSV also looks to have been replaced (all tested fine). They look new! !! So I went to the Toyota dealer to get a NEW EGR modulator valve and a VSV. In there parking lot I changed the modulator valve and cleared the DTC from the computer. The ride home (half hour ride) the DTC P0401 never came on. I noticed a little oil from the bottom hose of the modulator. The hose that goes to the base of the EGR. Is oil normal? Do you think it's possible that a bad PCV valve was fouling the modulator valve?

PS Thanks a lot Don and Comboverfish for your help, looks new and is new, well, another lesson I try to remember! Thanks!! Rob

Comboverfish wrote:

Reply to
meonthenet via CarKB.com

PS Thanks a lot Don and Comboverfish for your help

D>>Hello, Anyone know George Ganann ? Or does anyone know what was the problem

Reply to
meonthenet via CarKB.com

The hose at the bottom of the modulator (when looked at in it's installed position) is the large backpressure hose off of the exaust port on the EGR valve. There is no reason for this to accumulate oil internally. External oil could come from a valve cover gasket leak.

You're welcome,

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish