1998 Suburban Alignment - Factor Pin Removal?

First, I'd like to thank everyone in this group. The few times I've presented issues to you guys I've gotten sound advice.

I've got a 1998 Suburban 1500 350 2WD that is getting an alignment and the alignment shop called and said some factory pins were still in and needed to be replaced. He said he was having a hard time describing and would show me when I got there but does that even sound right? An hour of labor on the million+ Suburbans on the road adds up quick.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

Reply to
Joe

And you enjoy Thanksgiving as well.

I suggest you listen CAREFULLY to what the mechanic has to say and then come back here and ask questions before you let him do it.

PINS?+ Could be anything... Not saying he is not on the level, but get details...real details... and ask here.

Reply to
hls

Reply to
Shep

Shep that is how he explained it, hls thanks for the response as well. It drives much nicer now but as usual they missed a few things during 'closing' that I had to rectify. He did state that you only need to do it the first time and next time it won't be an issue.

Sure would be nice if there was some cheap equipment you could buy to do your own alignments.

As an aside the mechanic I spoke with said that apparently the new Ford trucks are worse and there is a kit they need to buy that makes the total alignment somewhere near $400-$450 w/labor, glad I don't have a new Ford.

Reply to
Joe

You can do alignments at home. You need two things. Proper measuring tools and patience. To set the toe on my race car took us about an hour in my driveway. (roll car forward and back, measure at front of tire, measure at rear of tire, raise car, adjust tierod one half turn, lower car, repeat.)

For a regular car owner with a regular car I suggest finding a quality front end shop instead.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Reply to
Shep

The good news is that there is: the old string and chalk method can still be done with laser pointers.

The bad news is that alignment is a job that takes a whole lot of skill, and the automated systems spit out precise values but it still takes a competent operator to know what they mean and what to do.

The really bad news is that most of the operators out there are pretty clueless, so when you find someone who really CAN do alignment work well, you need to patronize his business as much as possible and keep him around.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I didn't. It was already done when I bought the car.

I don't yet have a camber gauge, but apparently to set the caster, you set the camber with the wheels pointed straight ahead and then 20 degrees from straight and that's your caster.

I don't have any luck doing alignments at home, I found a local shop that specializes in race cars and modified cars, so I plan on having it done by them in the future. Like I said, it took me close to two hours just to set the toe.

Ray

Reply to
ray