2000 Baravada transmission problems

We bought this car about a year ago with 90000 miles on it at auction. Shortly after we began driving it we began to notice a very slight vibration when backing up. I learned that there was apparently a problem with the all wheel drive on these cars and a mechanic suggested draining and refilling the transmission and adding this blue additive that was supposed to "possibly" help. The car seemed to be OK for the next 6 months and although we still sometimes noticed the slight vibration in reverse that was the extent of it. The other day my wife said that while stopped at a light in drive she heard a sort of grinding noise. The noise went away and the light changed and she was relieved to note that the car seemed to be running fine. She drove it the 3 miles to our house and we then determined that it would not back up. It makes a soft "whirring" noise in reverse but nothing happens. I have a friend who used to rebuild transmissions until he gave up his shop last year. He's not familiar with this problem but he says that if I get one from a junk yard he'll install it for me. I am a little dubious about a junk one though in light of the apparent known problems with these. Is anyone familiar with this problem and if so what is involved in fixing it. Can we perhaps point my friend in the right direction so that if he removes my transmission he will be able to repair mine for me? I guess I would feel better about that than a "maybe" from the junk yard. Some other questions, is it OK to use the car without reverse for the time being? Will we damage anything else? Can I at least drive it the 25 miles to his shop if we determine that perhaps he can do this for me? Thanks very much for any advice. Lenny Stein.

Reply to
captainvideo462002

Shep

====== ====== I have NEVER....heard of a "Baravada".......

so...I don't even know what type of tranny is in it.

Here's what I do know to be fact.......

it's broke

it's a money thing

you're concerned about the money thing..not that it's broke

Here's what I base my facts on.......

it won't go in revearse....at all...never..ever

you're going to have to pay to fix that

you're trying to save a tow bill, thinking of a used unit, hoping a buddy can do it for you, considering a used tranny. (now don't go posting that it ain't a money thing)

~~ My Final Analysis of the Situation at hand... (based on the facts given in the op)

# 1 go with the used unit....if you want a 90 day warranty on parts only....maybe yer bud will yank it back out for free if the unit goes south on you.

# 2 don't go getting that buddy of yours to attempt to repair a transmission that he ain't got a clue about. Trust me on this one.....you'lllll beeee sorrrrryyyy. And so will he..so don't embarrass him by getting him to try it...and don't let him waste his or your time by dropping the pan to "take a little looksee"....cuz it's broke...and it HAS to come out the vehical.

# 3 You ain't driving a Baravada. Trust me on that one tooo.

~~Things you should be made Aware of~~

# 1 Driving the car without revearse ain't gonna cost you no more money than what you're fixing to spend on it anywhoo. Any tranny shop you carry it to already knows what they're gonna charge you for a rebuild. They don't care how broke it is. Trust me on that one........

# 2 ALL.....reputable tranny shops provide free towing.. I don't care if it's a hundred miles away. Trust me on that one tooo.

# 3 Roughly....1 out of every 6 or 7 used trannies that are installed from a salvage yard.....don't work. Fact..not Fiction. Trust me on that one tooooo.

# 4 If you use that vehical without revearse "for the time being", the person doing the using is gonna git frustrated at least once during that time. You don't have to trust me on that one...that's strickly a guess.

# 5 It IS...a money thing. That's all it is.

~~Suggestions for you~~

If you "HAVE" to have this vehical moving....and you can easily afford for a reputable shop to rebuild the unit, then go get it done and live yer life.....it's short you know. trust me on that one toooo.

If you can't afford to get the job done at a reputable shop, then call around and find the best dang Warranty/Priced salvage unit you can locate. Ask for the mileage on the unit. They gonna lie...but ask anyway. Call around to your local shops and ask what they'll charge to stick it in for you.

Those are your only options if you want to git through this without a lot of frustration on yerself and someone else that isn't used to the newer units.

~:~ MarshMonster ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster