GE Nighthawk headlamps for Mazda Protege OK?

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES

Headlamp is burnt out so went shopping for a lamp. Boy is the technology changed a lot! Not sure what to buy

So I bought the GE Nighthawk 9003 lamps. Are they OK with my small car? Or will they get so hot as to melt something or cause fire?

Opinions please?

Thanks!

Reply to
me

They are safe, legal, and one of the best 9003 bulbs on the market. It is illegal to sell bulbs that will "get so hot as to melt something or cause fire".

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Ok thanks

I'm a complete dummie when it comes to car tech.

Reply to
me

"For offroad use only"

"For show purposes only"

As for the (very much street legal) Nighthawks, I'd think that the price you pay for the increased output is shorter bulb life. Not sure how much, but it's probably nowhere near as bad as one of those bluish bulbs (think Sylvania Silverstar).

Reply to
y_p_w

Is that what they are for above? I didn't see that anywhere on the package. Are you sure they are not for street use as well?

That's kinda what I'm thinking as well..... possible shorter bulb life. So I guess my question is..... is that is the case then is that trade off worth the benefit?

Reply to
me

The Nighthawks are street legal. You'll often see those terms for overwattage bulbs, which the Nighthawks are not. I was referring to the type of bulb that may overheat and/or blind oncoming traffic.

Reply to
y_p_w

OK..... now I understand

Thanks!

Reply to
me

Neither of the above offers *any* shield or protection against the applicable provisions of Federal law (contained in 49CFR571) banning the importation, introduction into interstate commerce, sale or professional installation of noncompliant motor vehicle equipment. That fact doesn't stop a lot of people from applying such meaningless disclaimers to their illegal products, but make no mistake: There is NO exemption under Federal law for "offroad" or "show" products.

Correct.

Also correct.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

If you live in LA where headlamps are superfluous and most likely their use will get you shot, then no.

If you drive in the dark, then yes.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

What do you mean by above Daniel? I've never lived in LA so not sure what you allude to

Another possibly dumb question..... but if one headlamp burns out but the other is still OK...should a person go ahead and just replace BOTH of them at same time anyway?

Reply to
me

Seems to be a joke about the possibility of gang violence and/or carjacking in Los Angeles.

I think it's a good idea. I don't like having one bulb that much brighter than the other. Most bulbs' output will degrade over time.

Reply to
y_p_w

The few tests I've read of aftermarket bulbs like the Nighthawk seem to indicate that they do not provide a discernable improvement in visibility. In otherwords you don't see objects any sooner than with standard halogen bulbs. They are bright and dazzlingly different to oncoming drivers if that is what you are looking for.

Reply to
John S.

That seems illogical.

Reply to
Itsme

It seems illogical because John is making it up as he goes along. The one "test" he might have read that said anything like this was Condemner Reports' recent idiocy on the topic.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I take anything in consumer reports with a shaker full of grains of salt.

Reply to
Itsme