2000 Dakota update and further advice (Head gasket)

So I cant really tell if it needs a valve job unless the valves are removed? Is it best then for me to take the valves out and inspect the seat before I take them to the machine shop?

Reply to
stryped
********* In your case, you have to remove the valves to see the condition of the seat and valve face. IF you had a running car, you could take some pressure measurements and make a wild ass guess as to whether you needed to cut the valves or whether you wanted a steak dinner.

The machine shop can, if they are worth a s**t, tell you if there is valve guide wear that would require repairs. Usually, there is not. They can check the head, inside the valve ports, around the seats and bosses, to see if there are cracks.

You are entering into a really great learning experience... Ask questions, get different opinions, use your eyes and ears. Know your engine inside and out. I hope you enjoy it and, most pertinent, that you come away with a good running and dependable vehicle.

Reply to
HLS