Problems with 95 Jeep Cheroke

My 95 Jeep Cheroke makes a weird noise when I stop. I originally thought the noise was coming from the rear brakes but they were repaired and the noise didn't go away. Sounds like a weird rubbing /squeaking noise from underneath and the sound occurs at the instant that the Jeep comes to a complete stop. I did notice that if I put the gearshift in nuetral just before the vehicle stops, the the noise doesn't occur. I'm wondering if the transmissinion or tranfer case has some sort of shock mount that is broken. Seems odd that when you take the load off the engine the noise goes away. Anyone have any experience with this? m

I would be checking out the muffler ant tailpipe, they are known to rub if not aligned just right and the tailpipe is rubber mounted.

Going to neutral takes the load off the engine so the tail of the motor isn't moving under the gear load.

You could have a tranny or engine mount that could need attention. A pry bar is needed to check the tranny mount.

You also might want to look close at the driver's side engine mount, for some reason, these ones seem to fail first on that engine.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG AT's, 'glass nose to tail > My 95 Jeep Cheroke makes a weird noise when I stop. I originally
Reply to
Mike Romain

Shock mounts are popular ones.... also check the springs and struts.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

One other thing, the back driveshaft may have a slip joint that needs grease, They make noise if dry.

Mike

Mike Roma> I would be checking out the muffler ant tailpipe, they are known to rub

Reply to
Mike Romain

Check the engine mounts on both sides, especially the bolts going through the mount and into the engine block. They've been rather notorious for working loose and breaking after being driven while loose.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for all your advice. I'll crawl under the jeep next weekend and let you know what I find. It's getting more difficult to do that these days, I'm pushong 60. When I was a kid, I worked on my cars all the time. Tough to get old. M