2000 Elantra Idle Drops (Electrical?)

Recently, when sitting at traffic lights in my 2000 Hyundai Elantra, I've noticed the idle dropping ever so slightly. Usually, it runs at about 800-700 RPMs, but it was dropping about 100 RPMs to 700-600. The drops were small and random, so I just shrugged them off thinking I might need a tune-up soon.

Recently, since fall has arrived, I've been using less A/C and more windows. Just yesterday, when sitting in a parking lot after lunch, I discovered a pattern.

When I shut the A/C off, I no longer saw the idle drop. Just out of curiosity, I tried pushing the up button for the windows (even though they were already up.) The idle dropped. Then I let go and the idle returned to normal. A/C on, idle dropped. A/C off, normal.

Could this be something related to my electrical system or am I way off base here? I only know the basics about cars, so please include layman's terms with the technical stuff. ;)

Two other things I should note. Might be related, might not be...

My car's reaction to the gas pedal has also been slow lately. I know it's not a powerful car, but it used to react to the pedal very quickly. Now, it sometimes hesitates for a second or two before it kicks in.

I've also had chronic problems with light bulbs blowing out (usually the tail lights.) The mechanic would catch them during an oil change, etc., and I'd have them replaced. Within weeks, the same bulbs might blow out.

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
philaphan80

The A/C needs engine power to run. When you turn it on, the clutch engages and the engine is loaded down by the additional power it needs to supply to the A/C compressor for it to work. It does this intermittently because the A/C compressor does not run full time. It cycles as the pressure is built up in the system or the air cools sufficiently. Once either has been reached, the compressor shuts off until the air warms up enough that the A/C comes back on again and requires the compressor again.

As to the light bulbs, I would imagine you might have purchased the wrong ones.

Reply to
Bruce Chang

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes in article dated 27 Sep 2005

06:44:38 -0700:

tune-up = new cap, rotor, plugs, wires. Good idea. Especially if you notice any roughness when the idle drops randomly.

AC is a load on the engine. So is the alternator, which works harder when you use a lot of electrical current. All of this is normal.

I don't know whether the Elantra is fuel-injected or carbeurated. If it's a carb, I'd say you have a bad accellerator pump.

I lived in a house like that once. :^) I guess the main causes are electrical (as in bad alternator/regulator) or temperature (wind blowing or water dripping on the bulb).

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Reply to
Spud Demon