Ford contour heating

I had to run my defroster after a big rain in my area, and ever since the selector will not go out of defrost (1998 Contour GL). The knob moves as it should, but only defrost vents operate. The A/C works fine, but only from the defrost vents. I have a day off coming up and if anyone has run across this one before, let me know what you found.

Reply to
ebataitis

As most vehicles, there is a cable that is connected to the slide lever, which is routed to, in most cases, just in front of the center console (or where one would be) and under the dash.

In many cases, this cable becomes disconnected - either the case comes off altogether or the inner, sliding "wire" comes off the cam (or lever). This can happen at either end.

Reply to
mst

If its like a Taurus, its vacuum operated. So, you could have a bad vacuum motor, vacuum leak, bad vacuum check valve or such. If you had the factory shop manual it would show all the parts.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Forgot to follow up with cure: It was simply a vacuum hose disconnected from the plenum.

Reply to
ebataitis