2002 Dodge Durango

Hello, there, I have a 2002 Dodge Durango with front and rear air conditioning. I live in the Middle East, so the A/C is absolutely vital for 10 months of the year. However, I have a couple of issues. Firstly, the "cold" air in the front doesn't get really cold. And secondly, the air flow (and temperature) in the back is really weak on the right, and non-existant on the left. I have had the gas checked and topped up, and under the hood I can see and feel that the "liquid" pipes are freezing cold with the A/C running. This leads me to think that there may be a condenser issue or an air flow issue or a combination of the two. Any ideas? Cheers, Ed

Reply to
edvbevan

I have an 1997 model Dodge van and had some complaints about the system earlier. I do not have the rear unit. I had my vehicle serviced much as you did, but it helped nothing.

What I finally resolved is that the R134 system on this vehicle is perhaps underequipped for such a large 'heatsink'.

I installed film on the windows, which actually helped significantly.

I learned NOT to run the air conditioner on MAX all the time. If I do, it freezes up, and the cold air stops totally. If you tend to run on MAX, maybe this is a clue for you.

You could easily have air flow problems as well.

Reply to
<HLS

Thanks, I never run the a/c on max, as I believe that these big american vehicles have large fans, and by blowing too much hot air too quickly over the cooling pipes will never let the air cool down enough. I never set the fan speed to more than 3, unless testing for air flow! Now for a techie question - can the air side of the condenser fill up with "crap" if you accidentally run the a/c with the outside air coming in? And is there a way of checking / cleaning it if it is? Thanks in advance Ed

Reply to
edvbevan

?one: Does the 2002 Durango have a cabin air filter or more than one? ?two: If it does, is it or are they clogged? For dual climate controlled vehicles there may be an air flow distribution panel that directs air thru valves that sometimes collapse or become restricted causing the AC air to redirect thru the heater valves. When going thru the steps the AC system is charged, the compressor comes on, condensation forms on the lines, air flow is passed thru the vents but it is not cold. I'd start with the cabin air filter(s) first if applicable since it is important for not only the quality of the air coming in to the vehicle but also for the protection of the blower motor.

Reply to
Ken