2003 Chevy Trailblzer EXT 4WD basic question.

Owner's manual got stolen in while in dealer body shop. And I got el cheapo Haynes manual from Pepboy (cheapest quality paper print, $16). Anyhow:

  1. What is transfer case? It looks like a connection between transmission and drive shaft.
  2. Haynes manual indicates Dexron III for transmission fluid. It says to use GM Auto Trak II for transfer case. So, transfer case can't be part of transmission. What is GM Auto Trak II fluid? I guess I could call Chevy dealer but if anyone knows, if I can buy in autoparts shops, please do let me know. Thanks in advance.
Reply to
grunt262

Why not go to

andregister. Then you should be able to download a copy of the owner's guide. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks. I didn't know about it.

Reply to
grunt262

The transfer case is bolted to the transmission and transfer power back to the rear differential and forward to the front differential.

The Autotrak fluid is used specifically in GM's t/cases that have the automatic clutch feature. I'm not sure if you can get it yet at aftermarket places....I'd just go get the proper fluid from the dealership.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks for info. I've called local Chevy dealer and I am told they have Autotrack II fluid ($6 and changes per liter) but the guy wouldn't tell me if there is anything equivalent available at regular autopart shops.

Reply to
grunt262

?target=product&action=view&product_id=16187&category_id=262/
From
:

------------------------------------------------------------------------ PRODUCT PRIMARY NAME: RDL 3239B ALL SYNONYMS : AUTO-TRAK II E2382 RDL 3239B TRANSFER CASE FLUID

10-4017 12378508 773494 88900402 902048 9986186 SAFE USE CATEGORY AND DESCRIPTION: 04 -METAL WORKING FLUIDS AND LUBRICANTS LAST UPDATED DATE: 1999-05-07 MANUFACTURER'S ID (MID): 000553637 MANUFACTURER'S NAME: PETRO-CANADA MANUFACTURER'S EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBER/TEXT: CA 403-296-3000 MANUFACTURER'S MAILING ADDRESS: P.O. BOX 2844 CALGARY AB T2P3E3 CA

C. E. White