230 mpg

"hls" wrote in news:AeadnfXphJXxyxjXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Well, since the mid 1970's the US has not been self sufficient in oil. So maybe it's about time things changed? The US energy policy until now was buy more, give kickbacks to the oil companies and don't worry about what happens when the oil runs out. Pretty stupid policy. However not being a US citizen, perhaps I gloat more than I should.

There's something wrong with trying to stop the proven greenhouse effect from happening quicker? As yet no one has even proposed anything which would reduce it's damage much less negate it. Even Kyoto was just a freeze, not a reduction.

Reply to
fred

jim wrote in news:YcWdnVaKZu8FxBjXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

You used it believing it. Therefore it *is* your number. Esp. as other posters have said it's unrealistic in posts before yours.

No, it was 4 levels deep from the OP.

Which I stated well before your post was pure marketing bull.

So cite me reference where you can get 6 cents/Kwh peak. Hell, I'll even settle for 8.

Reply to
fred

Actually, a PhD type, {ref Angel} has done preliminary work in an orbiting shield to refract some of the sun's rays and result in planetary cooling. (AFAIK, he an academic, not fully institutionalized).

The results are somewhat positive, although the expense to do this would bankrupt the planet..Well, I guess if the planet is uninhabitable, one might as well spend the money.

Reply to
hls

By the way, this is Dr. Roger Angel of the University of Arizona.

He might well need some help from Chris Angel. Anyone who can walk on the waters of Lake Mead would be a formidable team member.

Reply to
hls

Plenty of people have proposed the only currently technologically viable solutions:

- More nuclear electric generation

- Eliminate all coal/oil/nat. gas generation

- Eliminate use of nat. gas for residential and commercial heating (only cooking left), provide separate metered low cost electricity for this use.

- Encourage the use of electric vehicles and electric mass transit where applicable. Again, provide separate metered low cost electricity for this use.

- Where electric vehicles are not viable, encourage a hydrogen powered option by providing subsidized nuke powered hydrogen generation.

- Provide subsidies to encourage the re-roofing of America with grid-tie solar PV to supplement other "green" generation (nuke, wind, hydro).

All of the above will eliminate the bulk of the environmental problems "now" (now = within a decade). For the remaining applications that need gas / diesel the remaining supply will last more than long enough for better technologies to come along, and the remaining applications will be few enough for their emissions to be negligible.

Of course nobody want's to admit that this is the only currently viable option since there are too many loud mouth uneducated anti nuke loons around.

Reply to
Pete C.

There are enough loons of every type to be a major problem. Many have been screaming off their heads that there is no warming problem....a position that is popular, but not supported by any serious science.

So now that we have soiled our pants, we want someone to clean us up....except we aren't "through" yet, it would appear.

A massive program to improve our energy efficiency in an ecologically sound way is needed, I think.

Even if we do this tomorrow, the consequences wont stop immediately.

Roger Angel's work is a last ditch endeavor.....when we are looking at the death of the planet.

Reply to
hls

There are much cheaper and easier methods to heat/cool the earth. Pulverized coal air-dropped on the ice caps to heat it up, and white styrofoam beads or other floating reflective material dropped into the seas to cool it off. The materials can be biodegradable. Read that decades ago, maybe in Pop Science. Sounds doable. No need to go into space. I'm not recommending this, BTW. Just bouncing some ideas around. We'll let Mike decide what to do.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

No I used 5 cents because that is what the OP stated as an assumption.

According to GM's Volt website it indicates that national (presumably off peak) electric rates range from $.03-$.10

I cited GM as the reference and so did the OP. His question was how (using that electric rate) did they arrive at the 230 mpg number. It is simple arithmetic. You are claiming the car gets the equivalent 35 mpg. (that would be what you get if you made the calculation).

-jim

Reply to
jim

Between him and Obama, I will have some nightmares, I think.

Reply to
hls

When it comes time to buy a new battery pack, I wonder what the price will be? As the car ages and nears time for the battery replacement, the car price will drop in anticipation (just as aircraft prices drop in anticipation of their next engine overhaul). Also, it will likely get declining mileage per charge as the battery ages. I imagine that someone will not want to take that battery off your hands for nothing. There may be a significant recycling fee or swap fee in addition to the new battery cost.

What kind of actual mileage does it get after the battery runs down and your are running on gas/petrol?

I'd love an electric car and will like to see where things are 5-10 years down the road.

Cheers. -- Rik

Reply to
Rik Brown

jim wrote in news:vr2dnVDh1avTJhjXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

That was refering you *your* post. Neat bit of editing that fools no one.

Look I'm not going to argue in circles with you when you remove relevant context everytime you're proven wrong. The facts are a) the OP stated that GM used the number. b) responders refuted that number with their own hydro rates d) you then replied with a post using the 5 cent amount c) you didn't provide a source that has rates even twice that GM provided when asked.

I see nothing you've provided that disproves anything I've said or proves anything you've stated to be true.

My source, I mean either a source from a hydro company or the like. *Not* another statement or the original by some marketing droid at an auto company with a vested interest in lying about such things.

Reply to
fred

You have been arguing in circles in every post. You still are.

You haven't proven me wrong , It is a simple fact that if the car uses a KWH every 4 miles and the electric rate is 5 cents per KWH then the cost of driving 40 miles is going to be 50 cents. How can you prove that wrong?

You have yet to say anything worth proving or disproving.

-jim

Reply to
jim

jim wrote in news:78Gdncp1QJvajxvXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

Uh huh. Riight. Well you have yet to say anything worth reading. I strongly suggest you *read* the messages in a thread before you post to it or you will run into conversations like this one every time you don't. I even go to the point of refreshing headers and read the *new* ones just before I post - or change my post quite often.

Reply to
fred

Looks like the "Volt" had a long gestataion period. Everything old is new again...

"A 'gasoline-electric' car is being developed by General Motors as the 'perfect solution' for the smog problem. Outside metropolitan areas, the driver would use a gasoline engine to propel the car. In large cities where air pollution is a growing problem, the driver would switch off the gasoline engine and turn on the battery electric drive system. It's only an experiment by GM, but it could answer a main objection about electric cars - their limited range. Conceivably, the gasoline engine could be used to recharge the electric battery system, eliminating the need for overnight recharging. American Motors toyed around with a similar system in the late '50s."

-- Popular Mechanics magazine, "Detroit Listening Post," May 1967

Reply to
Roger Blake

Yep, a lot of ideas are not new, the technology has just improved to the point where the old idea starts to become practical.

Reply to
Pete C.

On the web, Do it yourself electric cars.

You can build your own electric car. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Yes, however it is neither practical, nor economical. You end up spending enough money to buy a brand new decent car with a warranty, but instead you still have a 15 year old rust bucket with torn upholstery, cracked dashboard and faded paint, and with the electric retrofit, little driving range and few places you can legally recharge it other than in your driveway.

Reply to
Pete C.

I have a set of detail plans here which I bought back in the 1970s.The plans show and tell all about how to hook up a govt surplus electric motor in a VW beetle and similar small cars.The plans also show and tell all about how to build the controller/speed control device.

Two other sets of plans I bought back in the 1970s, How to hook up a three cylinder Yakusa (not sure if I spelled that name right, Yakusa, whatever) small yard tractor engine in a Triump car, the other set of plans show and tell how to build a two wheeler vehicle with a double compound compressed air motor, maybe it is a steam engine, I would have to dig those old plans out and take a look.I only bought those plans because they are interesting to read. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

What did you ever do with that old Mercedes diesel, Cu?

Reply to
hls

There are a few of us doing conversions. Might not be *the answer* but it's what we do...

Ben

Reply to
ben91932