No Air, Just Noise From 1995 Olds Cutlass Heater Blower

When I run the air conditioning or heat in my 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass with electronic climate control, I get very little air out of any of the outlets. It doesn't matter whether I direct the air to the windshield defroster, dash vents or floor vents. If I increase the fan speed to its highest setting, I get a loud rumbling/vibrating from inside the dash.

Any ideas on what might be the problem here?

Reply to
KC

Could be all kinds of things, most notably a big wad of leaves stuck in the fan. I've seen the fan impeller come detached from the motor too. Pull the covers and look inside.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

As Scott said, check to see that there is nothing blocking the air flow.

We have had a lot of problems with GM hvac systems, personally.

The computer has gone out of a lot of these cars. On one of them, the computer was changed several times, and the problem was later found to be a bad ground.

The ones that have the vacuum modulated control unit (the dual AC system) can also have a problem with that somewhat expensive unit. In one case, one of the divertor doors froze and the vacuum unit simply couldnt open it. A little penetrating oil, and it came back to life.

It could be a lot of things.

Reply to
hls

When that happens to me it's rats. I put screens over the air intakes on my cars.

Reply to
Ulysses

I do have the dual controls for the passenger and driver in this car. I live in the midwest, the car is a convertible, and is garaged during the winter months. That and we have had a cool summer, so the car hasn't been used much since last year. So hopefully the problem is a simple as a stuck actuator.

Earlier this spring I was cleaning out the garage and came across three dead mice in a bucket, so maybe there is a critter carcas stuck inside the fan assembly.

Reply to
kc