62 buick special

Hi I "m restoring a 62 buick convertable special with the V8 alum 215. I've taken off all the chome and would like to know how do I clean it up? I've
got a lot of chrome Thanks Dennis l snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
Personally, I'm a BIG fan of plastic media blasting. Not abrasive like sand or glass, it'll remove rust, paint, gook or anything from metal and leave an absolutely perfect surface underneath. It doesn't leave crud in little crevices, is non-magnetic and can clean surfaces so clean without damage that you can read things like "Bethlehem Steel" on the side of my buddy's 56 Ford panel truck. It's the most expensive type of media blasting, but it's extremely fast & the results are so good that when I blasted the doors from my 50 Willys wagon they looked like they were just stamped at the factory. Plastic also doesn't build up heat that can discolor or warp metals. It works on fiberglass, metal, glass, plastic, wood - everything and won't leave a mark itself. Rates in my area (Milwaukee, WI) to blast it yourself at a self-serve place go about $3/minute running time on the cabinets. I did entire doors in about 15 minutes inside & out and I'm a rank amateur at blasting. If you know what you're doing, you could do a whole door in a little over 5 minutes. Engine chrome would be a breeze since you could load every piece in the cabinet at once and go from one piece to the next in short order. Just make sure you de-grease everything before it goes in the blasting cab - contaminating the whole hopper of media could cost plenty.
Good luck, - Jeff G