85 Chev S10 clutch

Have an 85 S10, 4 spd manual transmission. Got it 2 months ago. I ONLY WANT TO GET 1 MORE MONTH USE OUT OF THIS TRUCK TO DO SOME WORK. SO:

  1. It ran fine for first month.
  2. Now it's hard to put into gear while driving. (with car off it'll go into any gear easily).
  3. It's easy to get into neutral, just can't get it back into gear easily.

Question:

  1. Is it ok to "jam it" into gear when necessary?
  2. Do you really need to use the clutch to shift gears?
  3. Is the clutch adjustable in some way that can temporarily fix the problem?
Reply to
bob

It sounds to me like either the clutch is not disengaging properly, which should be easy to test with the car in first gear, clutch down and low rpm. If the car creeps forward check the clutch.

It could also be the syncromesh in the gearbox. You could try double clutching and see if it improves.

Reply to
marks542004

Is this a hydraulic clutch? Check under the hood and see if you have a master cylinder for your clutch, as well as for your brakes. If the fluid level in the clutch's master cylinder isn't correct, this could cause problems as well. There's also the possibility that the syncros in the trans are shot out, but I think that's less likely.

If the clutch is a cable/linkage type, check to be sure the cable or linkage is properly adjusted (you may wanna get a haynes book / chilton manual to help you adjust it, )

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

there is a clutch reservior, and it's full..is it possible that the reservior is full but somehow the fluid's not getting to the clutch?

thank you for the help, i believe it's a hydraulic clutch.

bob

Reply to
bob

absolutely correct, the clutch is not disengaging..in reverse or 1st gear, i need good brake pressure to stop the car from moving..

what is "double clutching?"

also, if the clutch isn't disengaging, is there ever a common cause for this for that vehicle?

bob

Reply to
bob

Yea, it is possible that there is air in the lines...how does the clutch pedal feel?

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

louis, the clutch doesn't (i should say didn't) have much movement..

so i adjusted the pedal movement, there is a screw adjustment where i "lengthened the rod" that connects to the pedal (i.e. more "throw when i push the pedal")..but a problem: when i lenghtened it a little, the clutch situation improved..when i lengthened a little more, the switch that interlocks the clutch pedal to the ignition wouldn't let me start the car..what i believe i need to do is just lengthen that rod a little more at the same time as allowing the switch to engage?

any suggestions how to adjust that switch or bypass it?

btw, thanks for your help so far!

bob

Reply to
bob