'93 Escort stuck in 5th gear.

1993 Escort, 1.9l, 160,000k. The shifting was occasionally a little stiff into and out of 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Starting a week ago, it gets stuck in 5th gear. Car shop said it was the clutch, and replaced it. Now all other gears feel fine, but 5th still sticks. I can not shift into neutral, and have only gotten it out by turning car off, waiting a while, and having someone push while i try to shift into neutral.

Car shop tells me its the transmission, but havent actually looked at transmission internals or shift linkage. Any chance it's anything less expensive?

full sob story @

-Anthony

Reply to
ant

I have but one suggestion if you don't want to spend a lot of money. Don't put it in 5th.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Bad syncro....just a thought....

Reply to
Patrick Gilmore

There's a sort of a detent arrangement in the gearbox that is supposed to prevent you from accidentally shifting from

5th to reverse. If things are worn excessively, it might start fighting you before you get to neutral. Just a guess.
Reply to
Ol' Duffer