85 MPH: Texas considers highest speed limit in nation

So, what's 85 MPH? I spent ten months at Fort Hood in 1965.Back then (if I am not mistaken) you could drive as fast as your car could go on the wide open stretches, and many people did.Montana too. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Yep. The people who freak out about talk of 80 or 85 MPH speed limits have never left their little city cages where speeds rarely get over 40 MPH. The areas where these speed limits exist are stereotypical desert highways, flat, straight and wide, and with terrain off the road that is equally flat and obstacle free. When you drive 85 MPH on them it feels like you're barely moving.

Reply to
Pete C.

80-85mph is common on chicago area interstates and limited access highways. Except speed limits are 45-55mph and as of jan-1,2011 30 over carries jail time. The people who "freak out" are control freaks or other forms of people who think everyone else should do as they do. Such people may live anywhere.

Most rural interstate in the USA should have no speed restriction.

Reply to
Brent

We have some pretty good highways in Texas, and a lot of them could support higher speeds with no problem.

Trying to cross this state in a day, or even two days depending on the route, can be hard.

If you have ever driven on Houston's beltway 8, you may have seen people driving 90 mph or more. It isn't legal, but is not as enforced as it could, or perhaps should, be. People seem to have the attitude that if we have to pay to use this tollroad, we should be able to drive any speed we wish.

If we are going to be allowed to drive at near autobahn speeds, we will probably have to tighten up the safety inspections. I am afraid there are places you can still pay your $15 and get a safety sticker on a deathtrap.

Reply to
hls

I've never seen a deathtrap vehicle doing much more than the posted

55mph and usually lower. They are pretty much self limiting due to self preservation of the driver.
Reply to
Brent

"Unsafe" vehicles have NEVER been seriously considered as a significant proximate cause of vehicle accidents or fatalities. "Safety inspections" are, and always have been, about revenue production.

Reply to
That Tune

Not at all, Brent.. People speed on unfit tires, for example, all the time.

Reply to
hls

I have seen some online UK used cars ads before.Used vehicles for sale, usually they mention the vehicle has been MOTd.I reckon that means the used vehicle has recently been inspected and is ready for the road. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

And yet equipment related collisions last I heard are around 2% of all collisions.

Government inspections are like government anything they are about power and the shakedown (for revenue) or the revenue for businesses that lobby for it.

Reply to
Brent

Right, the MOT (Ministry of Transportation) evaluation is an inspection in the UK which covers a wide range of topics including car safety and emissions. It is illegal to drive the vehicle without a current MOT.

I was surprised that they even fail cars for rusted "sills", which I guess we call rocker panels (under the doors). Other rust damage and mechanical damage may also cause a car to fail.

My car failed the EU test the first time because they found cracking rubber seals on the CV joints and ball joints, and a slight leak at the valve cover gasket.

While I might not consider these defect a safety hazard or even a pollution hazard, they do.

Reply to
hls

Who benefits from finding it as such? That's why it is so.

Reply to
Brent

If they are anything like the system used here, they dont do any repairs. MOT + Ministry of Transport, is a Government department.

Reply to
Bret

Sounds like time for a revolution.

Reply to
Roger Blake

MOT does not do the repairs. They specify the tests, and private garages actually do the evaluations and repairs.

Reply to
hls

I am too old for a meaningless revolution.

Reply to
hls

"hls" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Wrong. Totally wrong. You are 100% wrong.

Ask me how I know.

Reply to
Tegger

Yes I thought so.

Reply to
Bret

And the auto service businesses will get right behind leglislation to get rid of the MOT system... right?

Reply to
Brent

Yep sure will, then they will be issuing the Wof and doing the work :(

Reply to
Bret

OK, Tegg.. Let's hear your version of this story.

Reply to
hls