89 Caprice still funky

A couple days ago I mentioned the problem I've been having with my usually reliable 89 Caprice-- after it goes around the block a couple times, it starts missing under load. Helpful folk here opined that it might be my ignition coil, and since this agreed with my preconceptions, I replaced it. Apparently this wasn't the problem. Dick C. mentioned it might also be a fuel problem-- filter or pump. However, if this were the case, why would it run smooth when revved in neutral or park? If it's a fuel delivery problem, I would think it would show up anytime the accelerator is punched, not just when there's a load on the engine.

Any more good thoughts? I'm pretty ignorant, so don't hesitate to dumb down any advice, please.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Aldridge

Even though it will rev up when in N or P, it does not take the same amount of gas as it would if you tried to rev it to the same rpm under load. So you rev it up test doesn't really prove anything about whether it's getting enough fuel when you drive it.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Does the check engine light come on ?

Reply to
TOLYN9

That's a good question because if it does not then it points to a problem in the secondary ignition like the wires. I don't think an 89 Chevy will set a code for that. OBDII certainly would, but this precedes that.

Reply to
eddy eagle

I have a 91 Caprice that had similar problems. After couple months, I replaced the gas tank cap. No more problems. I suggest you do the same.

Reply to
Grant