88-90 GM 3800 V6 Balance Shaft help

What's to pulling and reinstalling this balance shaft? A special tool is mentioned in the manual, but is it necessary?

Any tips?

Reply to
HLS

I know someone must have experience with this. Help Ian.

Is this a no brainer to get the balance shaft our, and back in, or is it going to be a battle?

Reply to
HLS

"HLS" wrote

Sorry, wasn't following the thread....what engine/balance shaft/vehicle are we talking about?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

This is an 88-90 GM 3.8 litre V6. The engine in my Reatta has 145,000 on it, and I want to build up an engine to swap in before the old one eventually fails. This engine has the rotating balance shaft, and I havent worked on them before. Is a special tool required (as inevitably shown in the manuals), or is it simpler than that?

Thanks

Reply to
HLS

According to Chilton's, you may need one or more of the following:

1) A "Slide Hammer tool" (to pull the balance shaft from the front of the engine). 2) A "camshaft remover/installer tool" (To remove the rear balance shaft bearing from the rear of the engine). 3) A "balance shaft rear bearing installer tool" (to install the new bearing). 4) A "Balance Shaft Installer Tool" (self explanatory, screws into the balance shaft and is removed after installation).

Whether or not you can improvise from tools you already own, I haven't a clue.

Reply to
Arthur Dent

Thanks Arthur. I'm going to have a go at getting it out this weekend. Bearing removal and reinstallating will probably have to be handled at the machine shop.

I'll post a follow-up if I learn anything that might be helpful to the group

Reply to
Larry Smith

Thanks, Ian. I let the machine install the cam bearings too.

I'm sure they will be happy to install new bearings for the balance shaft. I intend to let them balance the whole engine as well. (For the newbie...the balance shaft neutralizes a good bit of the vibration in this type of engine. It does not counter all the stresses which can be relieved by proper balancing.)

Actually, the engine I have in the Reatta would probably run another 50,000. This is a matter of doing something well, and keeping my inlaws from worrying when I am on the road.

Reply to
HLS