89 Chevrolet Blazer, no compression after rebuild, need help!

I just finished swapping a bunch of parts on my 89 full size blazer and cannot get it restarted. The vehicle has a 350ci engine with TBI and I believe it has the original block. The vehicle was running fine, but burning oil from what I think was bad valve seals. (lots of blue smoke on startup and not much after that) This is a list of parts I recently swapped: rebuild heads with cating number 14102193, Edelbrock cam and hydralic lifter kit 3702, Edelbrock matching timing chain

7802, Edelbrock TBI intake manifold 3704 and a Holley 502-6 TBI unit. All the Edelbrock part are listed for 87-95 TBI 350. I can see the fuel pulse from the injectors, I know the spark is there and timing is correct. When the engine cranks, I can see the valves opening and closing and the distributor rotor is spining. I have measure 0 compression on 4 cylinders and assume that there is none on the others as well. The engine seems to crank with little resistance. I'm pretty certain that I had the timing chain aligned correctly with TDC when installing. I adjusted valves per a haynes manual by going to 0 lash with an additional half turn. Is there something that anyone can think of to check? Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks
Reply to
D.Imler

This sure sounds like a cam timing or valve adjustment issue to me. On valve lash, if you didn't pre-oil the lifters before installing them it's difficult to tell the zero lash point, so you may have bottomed the lifter out when you thought you had zero lash, and the extra half turn would keep the valve open. On the cam timing, both valves should have been closed for a while on #1 as the timing mark approaches the timing tab on the compression stroke. You can watch the valves as you manually turn the motor and check for that. If one valve is open, or just closed, as you turn it to TDC #1 then cam timing is off.

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Well, pull yer valve covers and take out a full turn on each valve and recheck yer compression. If it starts coming back yer on the right track.

Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Thanks for the info, will back everything off and re-adjust the valves.

Reply to
D.Imler