'90 626, check eng light comes on, goes away...

90 Mazda 626, 2.2L auto. 130k miles. I found a technique for reading the codes from the light when there's a fault, but this car doesn't store the fault.

Maybe this means I need a code scanner. It predates OBD-II. Is it OBD? Would an OBD-II scanner work?

I'm not the primary driver, and this just started, but this what I've observed: The car runs great, as smooth as ever, as much power, etc.

When warm, the light comes on in slow stop & go driving. Freeway, or a little faster, and the light goes off.

Any likely suspects? O2 sensor? PVC valve? Cat?

Thanks much! David

Reply to
David

I don't know Mazdas, but the info I found suggests that a code scanner is required. You're going to need one designed for Mazda OBD-I systems, an OBD-II-only scanner definitely won't work:

Trying to guess what might be causing the MIL to come on without knowing the code(s) is virtually impossible..

Reply to
Robert Hancock