91 Toyota Camry: Can I change pistion rings w/o removing engine?

I have a 91 Camry LE with 181k miles on it. Recently, I checked all the cylinders for compression. They all tested between 150 and

155#. One of the cylinders, however, could not hold its compression. It fell steadily after reaching its top compression of 150#. I assume that this is either bad valves or bad rings. If it's the valves, I know I can take the head off without removal of the engine. However, I am not sure if I can change the piston rings without removing the engine. Is this possible on this car.

Also, is there a simple way for a a diy'er to determine if the problem with the leaking compression comes from the valves or the pistions? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Al Kondo

Reply to
Al Kondo

Put a little heavy oil into the clyinder through the spark plug hole and see if that improves the compression. If so then it's rings, if not you are looking at valves or head gasket.

Reply to
Brent P

Reply to
Mike Behnke

Typically valves drop the pressure immediately. Rings will hold some pressure for some amount of time.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Chang