Carburetor lubricant

Car is 1985 Corolla at end of life.

The carburetor butterfly is sticking open, making it hard to start and idle when cold. I cleaned it with carburetor cleaner, and then used some penetrating oil, but a few days later it was sticking again.

So what's the right lubricant to use on all the pivot points?

Reply to
kgold

There is none. It's not meant to be lubricated. It's sticking because the carburetor body has warped. You can try Tri-Flow, which contains Teflon

-- this may buy you a few days or weeks at a time.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

You might have to pull out the shaft and clean it.

WD40 or penetrating oil can clean them sometimes and a drop of engine oil lubes them nice, but lots of times there is electrolysis corrosion in there that needs a physical ream and clean.

Also check the choke itself for a seized shaft.

Mike

kgold wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Which shaft is that. Is there a shaft that holds the butterfly?

What would I be "reaming and cleaning"?

I don't think anything is seized. When I clean and lube it, it works for a day or so and then starts sticking again.

Eng> You might have to pull out the shaft and clean it.

Reply to
kgold

The shaft that hold the butterfly and usually there is a shaft from the coil guts to the linkage that goes up to the butterfly shaft.

I have seen a lot that the inside hole of the carb body or the choke body have a white corrosion in them. This stuff will only allow smooth movement for a very short while after a clean or lube, then it binds up the shaft again.

I usually use a drill bit that fits and hand spin it through to ream the hole or a smaller drill bit wrapped with emery paper to ream it.

Mike

kgold wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain