91Ford Ranger Loss of Power

Need help with my 4.0L V6 5 speed 4WD 190,000 mile Ranger. Over the last couple thousand miles the truck has been losing power. Now it will not go over 70mph and it takes some time and effort to get to 55mph. Gas mileage has dropped from 18 to less than 12mpg. It idles fine and does not seem to misfire on acceleration, it just won't accel. Changed plugs, with no noticable difference. Plugs were a rust brown color, not light tan that I was hoping for. Oil looks fine. Check engine light has not come on. If I try hard to accelerate or go above 70 the engine pings and the temp guage rapidly starts to climb. Any ideas?

Reply to
JR

Sounds like you have a timing problem. I believe that engine uses a timing chain (as opposed to a belt) and your cam timing is retarding a bit as the chain gets sloppier and sloppier. Eventually it'll break. You might have a worn down camshaft, too, with that many miles.

Reply to
Walter

Reply to
Shep

check your coil pact one of them is bad i had the same problem on a camero loss of power and would idle just fine cat would get hot and had no power after 25 mph found the bad coil pact and cured the problem

terminal 3 ( coil 1 ) plugs 1and 5 terminal 2 ( coil 3 ) plugs 2and 6 terminal 1 ( coil 2 ) plugs 3 and 4

resistance 6,500 to 11,500 good less than 6,500 or more than 11,500 bad

Reply to
tudysmuck

by the way what i wrote is for a 4.0 ford motor

Reply to
tudysmuck

Big Thanks! to everyone who offered help. Especially Shep, it was a plugged converter. Thanks Again,

Speed Safely, JR

Reply to
JR