expert van 2.0 HDi loss of power

I have a problem with my expert van 2.0 HDi, for the last month it seems to be very sluggish, poor accelaration. its bearable around town but on the motorway its realy hard to keep at any decent speed. in third gear it accelarates slowly then as soon as I hit 50mph it gets a spurt of power, I have to take it to about 60mph then change to 4th again it slowly creeps to 70mph then it bursts into life and will go to about 85mph plus . if i change to 5th it will keep at a steady speed, but if the revs go down (due to hills etc) it will not regain speed. I think it has something to do with the turbo charger. I would appreciate any of your oppinions before I book it in to be repaired..

Thanks in advance

Mo

Ps. the van is always full of tools etc. but I its always been fine in the past..

Reply to
mo

Those are the typical signs of a duff Mass Air Flow Meter. Does the exhaust smoke at all? Generally if the MAF goes, the engine doesn't smoke much, and will be slightly sluggish to rev-up when revved with no load.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

try un-plugging it and see if it goes any better, had a diesel rover in last week same symptons, un-plugged the maf sensor went like a train.

Reply to
snailmail

Thanks for thye advice guys it was exactly that, disconnected the MAF and woosh she goes like a rocket again.. going to get new MAF next week.. Thanks again. Mo

Reply to
mo