'92 Regal- is this right?

Now that it's getting cold outside, I've noticed something odd in my new-to-me '92 Buick Regal, and am not sure if it's supposed to be this way or not.

On initial startup, when the engine is cold, it won't shift into OD until the temp gauge comes off the peg. Is something wrong, or did GM design the computer to hold 3rd so the engine warms up quicker? Or is something else going on? I work right near the interstate, what happens is once I'm on and the cruise is set at 70, I'll be pulling around 2300 RPMs. Then, after a little while (1-2 minutes), usually just as the temp guage comes off the peg, the RPMs will fall down to the normal 1900 (roughly, I hate these older GM tach's that are only readable down to 500 rpm diff)

FWIW- it has the 3.8 V6 and the 4 speed OD transmission (duh).

Thanks, Mike O'Malley

Reply to
Mike O'Malley

Thank you, that's what I thought it was doing, but just wanted to make sure it was a "feature" and not a problem that would cost major $$ to fix later!.

-- Mike

Reply to
Mike O'Malley