94 Chevy S10

I've got an old 94 S10 (2.2 4cyl). It started overheating and I discovered the pump was leaking bad. I had it replaced, as well as the heater coil. I also had them change the thermostat and flush the cooling system.

About the time I got it home, it started running terrible, and now it has a bluish white smoke coming out the exhaust when the accelerator is pressed.

Head Gasket?

Thanks, Tim

Reply to
dolfantimmy

You very possibly have a warped head from the previous overheating event. I have seen a couple of 2.2s warp their heads badly. One was so rediculously warped that I had to stack feeler gauges together to measure it under a straightedge. Those two engines were in < 3000lb cars. The extra weight of an S-10 could really do a number on a 2.2 that is low on coolant.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

go to your nearest NAPA auto parts store and purchase a block leak testing kit (usually around $25) this will enable you to test yourself to see if you are having head or head gasket trouble. it works really simple. you add a blue fluid to a test cylinder that you insert into your radiator fill cap hole and if it turns green, then you know that you need to tear the engine down and replace the head gasket and have the head dye-tested and resurfaced by your local machine shop

Reply to
plainoldmechanic