95 blazer engine failure

Thanks to all in advance for replying. 95 Chevy Blazer 4.3l Vortec,

240000km. (Lemon by the way) Nothing but problems since i've owned it. Anyhow that's another story.Was coming home from a camping trip the other day and the following happened...

-towing lightweight trailer (1400lbs)

-at start of incline engine seemed to have less power than usual (didn't really think much of it)

-noise came from engine and vehicle stalled

-engine temp was pretty high, oil was hot

-strong gas smell from under hood

-seemed like small amount of gas had somehow come up from the intake and oozed out of plastic air intake ???

-with lighter in hand, ready to go, I checked my insurance to see if I had fire coverage on the vehicle (DAMN - I didn't)

-tried to restart, but starter wouldn't turn over engine

-figured engine may be seized. tried to hand turn pulleys and turn over with starter for about an hour, but to no avail (heard that this may help to prevent the engine from permanently seizing-don't know if there's much truth to that)

-about an hour later, tried to start vehicle again with starter and it turn over a couple of times, and seemed to almost start, but stopped abruptly as if something jammed it (audible noise with this)

-again engine seemed to be seized

-was able to get it to turn over later with starter (maybe one revolution), but seemed to jam again

-eventually fried starter

-expensive tow bill back to town (2 tow trucks for blazer and trailer) from way out in the boonies

-no obvious fluid coming from vehicle

-bit of gas smell in oil, but not too bad

- no loss of coolant, no oil in coolant I have a bit of experience with auto repairs (I seem to sniff out lemon vehicles) but nothing with engines or this type of problem Any suggestions with what might have gone wrong with the engine or things to check out Does something like this seem fixable (by myself) I could probably figure things out, but does it seem more likely that an engine replacement or rebuilt may be necessary Just want to get it running again - then FOR SALE Already lost so much money on this vehicle Thanks... Steve

Reply to
stevekb123

It mostly sounds like your CPI injector solenoid has stuck open, thus way overfueling every cylinder and hydrolocking the engine. Pull the fuel pump relay and try to crank the engine after a long sit. See if it continues to crank without locking up during a no fuel delivery condition.

The external fuel leak you eluded to is not uncommon for this design, but in and of itself I don't know how an external fuel pipe leak or ruptured regulator leak would cause the engine to lockup. Perhaps you have two problems, or you didn't really see a pressure side fuel leak, rather an intake backfire of liquid gas from the cylinders.

Anyhoo, this CPI assembly is under the intake plenum.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

I replaced the entire CPI assembly two months ago with a new AC DELCO one. Still might be this??? Thanks again for the input. Very interesting. I'm going to take off the upper intake plenum and check it out tomorrow. Will have to go and buy a starter to try and crank engine

Reply to
stevekb123

If it is hydrolocked, it will not turn over untill you pull the plugs. Don't waste money buying a starter just yet. Pull the spark plugs out. Turn the engine over via the crankshaft balancer bolt with a half inch ratchet. Listen/feel for noises, anything hitting and/or fuel coming out of the holes. Then go from there.

Reply to
dahpater

Given a few hours, the gas will evaporate past any open valves *and* leak past the rings. The reason it spins momentarily then locks up again on each additional start attempt is because the fuel pump gets energized each time the key is turned to start, which blasts fuel past the failed CPI unit into the cylinders.

Anyway, there's reason enough to stop cranking the engine all together until the cause of the (most likely) hydrolock is repaired.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish

Yes gas will keep going into a cylinder, but Hydro lock is a result off 1 or more cylinders having fluid in them and that/those cylinders being on the "compression stroke". The valves are "closed". Other then slight seepage past the rings, (leak down), there isn't any way for the fluid to get out, without giving the fluid a relief opening. If there's that much gas in the cylinder, it will not evaporate in a short amount of time. (>Given a few hours...

Reply to
dahpater

It "gets out" over the course of a few hours as previously detailed.

Actually, you will bend a rod or crack a piston at the pin boss, not bend a valve. I never said continuous cranking attempts was smart. I was explaining why the car would crank again after a short time, then would seize again within seconds -- for the OP's benefit to learn what is going on.

Most indeed.

Toyota MDT in MO

Reply to
Comboverfish