95 Cougar Leaking Oil - how bad is this?

95 Mercury Cougar V8 It has started dripping oil from an area about 6 inches forward from and 8 inches inboard from, the right front wheel. The oil is very thin and clean, like gun oil rather than motor oil. I haven't crawled under it, but my husband thought it might be a seal leaking on the rack and pinion steering. He said there wasn't anything else in that area containing oil.

Anyway, my questions are: Does the diagnosis sound right? If so, is such a thing easily repairable and how would you do it? We have way more time than money :-) If I just let it leak, is the steering going to fail (is it dangerous)? How would I even add oil back to it?

Thanks for all your help Libby

Reply to
Libby

Sure it's not brake fluid?

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Check it is from the shock ?? Most likely .

Reply to
ucm

I looked under the car and it is not the shock (Mcpherson strut). It is dripping off of the big metal cross piece that holds the motor up. But it is too thin and clean to be motor oil. If it is the rack and pinion leaking, what will happen? Is it going to get to where it can't steer? How do I add oil back to it? Thanks, LIbby

Reply to
Libby

It _could_ be the power steering. The hoses sometimes crack and leak. Sometimes the R&P seals leak. Add power steering fluid the normal way but it will eventually become so bad that you will be putting in many quarts every day.

Reply to
« Paul »

Open the cap on the power steering reservoir and compare the fluid in there with your leak. If they don't match, its not the power steering rack.

What does it smell like? What does it feel like if you rub it between your fingers? Compare it with the stuff in the radiator, brake fluid, the power steering, the transmission. See which one matches.

Are you in an area where the A/C is being used? If so, it could also be the moisture condensed by the AC. Is this cross piece anywhere near the A/C drain hose (usually comes out of the firewall in the vicinity of the front seat passenger's feet)?

Reply to
E. Meyer