Oil not draining back into pan??

Hi...

I have a 1994 Toyota truck with a 22RE. Today I noticed a "bearing going bad" sort of sound from the front of the engine. I was thinking it was from one of the pulleys/bearing from the belt tensioner or power steering pump or fan. However, it also seemed like it could be coming from inside the engine itself (the top front)...perhaps the camshaft bearing or something??

I took off the oil cap to look inside and there is a pool of oil right under it (even a day after shutting the engine off). It seems like the oil is not draining back through the engine into the pan and the rocker arms are probably completely submerged in oil. At the same time, I noticed that the dipstick shows the oil level to be about halfway between low and full. As of a couple days ago, it was completely full. I've only had the truck for about 1,000 miles, but it doesn't seem to burn oil and the oil level had remained unchanged until yesterday. I'm thinking about a half quart of oil is trapped under the rocker arm cover (or somewhere).

I don't have any experience with this engine, but I don't see how this can be normal (but maybe it is--but then, how do you drain the oil and refill it?).

Other than the noise (which is not very loud) the engine runs great. But, I'm sort of scared to drive it in case some part of the engine is not getting oil (or getting too much oil). The oil pressure and engine temp are both normal. The oil still looks pretty clean and does not have any coolant in it.

Does anbody have any ideas on what might be wrong (something clogged, perhaps)? Is it safe to drive the truck?

Thanks.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Marshall

For those searching the news archives...turns out the noise was the belt tensioner (take it off, the noise is gone...put it back on, the noise is back)

The pool of oil under the oil fill cap was just an optical illusion. There is a little shelf about an inch below the cap that diverts the oil as you are pouring it in the engine. The shelf stays covered with a little pool of oil that looks like a whole lot of standing oil.

Reply to
Stan Marshall